1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware NEC MultiSync P221W - 22in widescreen LCD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 15 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Still the nicest monitor I ever owned was a Hercules Prophet 900. 1024x768 beauty. Cresent stand, light blue bevel, 100% alluminium body. Weighed nothing and you could take a hammer to it and it wouldn't dint. Lovely bit of kit. My replacement 1440x900 LG, whilst obviously is much nicer to use, feels like it's made out of paper in comparison.

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Finally a non TN panel review, after all those 'been there done that' reviews. Cant wait for the HP screen review and comparisons...

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I cannot believe you guys haven't had a Dell UltraSharp 2209WA in for a review yet. It's 22" e-IPS goodness, albeit at 1680x1050. Image quality rocks, it comes with pivot (although without the necessary software) and it can be had dirtcheap (around £200 at OcUK).

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think I'll take a TN panel at 1/3 of the price thanks :p

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Too little, too late... Or actually, too much and too late. I mean real image-editing pros aside, who's going to be happy to pay over £400 for a 1680x1050 22" screen? I'm all in for image quality, and would never buy a TN screen (for the primary screen anyway), but even for me this just seems... Kinda bad.

7. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

says DVI and VGA - but do i spy an S-Video port on the back too???

8. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

NEC LCD monitors are brilliant, especially on their current 24"+ models but this 22" just doesn't seem right. Putting a S-PVA panel on a market already littered with 24" S-PVA panels that are cheaper and has more inputs or functionality simply makes no sense (Dell, Dell and Dell springs to mind).
    As already addressed in the review, the S-PVA panel with overdrive has always been a concern and became quite a serious issue for Dell when they released the Dell 2407WFP-HC and later offered a full refund to customers due to the huge number of complaints (although I kept mine until I switched to a different 24" when I couldn't take it anymore). At this sort of price, I really can't see why NEC opted for this panel.
    And I can't see why anyone would buy this monitor when they could get a more reasonable 24" (on a 16:10 ratio) monitor for a similar price... better yet, forget the HP LP2275W, the HP LP2475W with a S-IPS panel can be had for cheaper and is a far better monitor.

9. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

I really wanna get the 30" version.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

yep, sorry... that was my mistake during the final edit. I've made the corrections to the text and spec summary.

11. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

When will OLED monitors start to make an appearance?

12. Jerz

Jerz What's a Dremel?

In about one-two years with two at least before they are reasonably priced would be my guess.

13. Jerz

Jerz What's a Dremel?

Thinking about OLEDs, I think it would be awesome to see bit-tech do a review on the tech with that 11" sony OLED that is out.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

...so it should have been a 24"er for a smaller price...

Come on Bit-tech, I know you like monitors with snall pixeldistances, but ...when do we get a test or comparison of affordable 24"ers?

15. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

*hugs Samsung 215TW*

If only I had the money for a 30" monitor...

16. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

I'd have to agree will all of you. To me it looks like Marketing and the bean counters had more input into the making of this product than say the product design/engineering team did... Who the frak is going to use s-video these days, or VGA for that matter? This product is all buck and no bang.

I picked up a Samsung h2693 a few months back for $350 on-sale at Best Buy because they weren't selling. Apparently, 26" is too big for some peoples desks, not mine though. While not a "perfect monitor" it does what I need it to do and more.

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I read good reviews of this monitor and it cost around 600 euro's atm.

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Image quality-wise the Dell 2209WA blows the Lenovo L220x out of the water. The only "downside" is its slightly lower resolution of 1680x1050.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

And I'd still rather buy a 24"er for this resolution instead...especially as they are cheaper.

20. Slyr7.62

Slyr7.62 «ŚŁÂŶÈŘ»

This is but one of the posts I have to agree with and give a "+1". Besides the fact my primary monitor(a CRT) is 19", I am a bit spoiled by it being a NEC with a (Sony) Trinitron tube :D. I'd just like a bigger primary monitor, that's why I mainly have my eye on the $170-something 22" Acer. Plus, I game so the TN panel may be "good" for me :p. Well, the price helps. I will never pay over $350 for a 19 or 22" monitor because that's what my "old" Viewsonic G90F was brand new.

Tags: Add Tags