1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits The Future of Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

That image is actually of "No.1"... he was a dumb robot. :duh:

A picture of the proper J5 would be more apt. :D

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Johnny 5 still alive!

4. TESCO-Zsömle

TESCO-Zsömle What's a Dremel?

I know, thats a tag but "Don't they fear from it??". I mean everybody see the "Terminator series" or the "I Robot". What's the bond, that if we give the controll of the weaponary (that "we" created to kill each other) to a superintelligent computer ('who' makes killing more effective), that won't kill us??

Killing humanity is the most logical choise in favour of Earth. (And a comuter is only logic. Nothing more. No intuitions, no hope, no fear, no mercy...)

Hell!! The biggest danger to humanity is humanity itself...

(Sorry for my englis, and for my demagogy, but somebody needs to think about that.)

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What a fascinating article, and brilliantly written to boot!

6. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

No mention of IMB's Deep Blue and Watson? Nor of ELIZA, ALICE etc or the Turing Test? Really?

What's there's well and informatively written, but there's so much more to cover!

7. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

8. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

He built a 30-quad-core CPU rig, just to gambling, I think this is only a waste of energy. You know, calculating billions of "if...then..." states that 99% never actually happen:rolleyes:

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE A PEPPER TOO?

joking aside Ive always loved the concept of AI, even though the speilberg film back in 01 was utter tripe.

10. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

Enjoyable article but,"I need more input!"

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Agree with TESCO-Zsömle:

Anybody seen Eagle Eye? :D

Very interesting read... the first 2 pages at least, didn't have time to read the rest yet. :thumb:

12. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

No Wintermute and Neuromancer?! For Shame! :p

Great article, I enjoyed that.
    Like HugoB says, though, there's so much more to the topic that could be mentioned.
    A follow-up article would be very welcome. :)

13. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Great article. Thank you :)

14. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

15. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

I wonder if the real future, will involve the embedding of computer technology into the human brain, allowing us to combine the huge data processing power of the CPU, with our capacity for abstract thought. Now that would be a potent combination!

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Exactly!

Like how about some actual data, for instance:

The highest current estimate for the computational power of the brain is 10 to the 16th computations per second. According to Moores law we'll have this for $1,000 in 2020, and for $1 in 2030...and storage - where a 1 neuron is equivalent to 1 bit - circa 300Tb.

Now, that's just hardware...it's our software that gives us intelligence. Given that it's only recently that computational power reached a critical point to allow biology to become a digital science (on par with chemistry and physics) and that it's increasing exponentially I see no reason why our understanding of biological processes shouldn't be sufficient to create intelligent life relatively soon.

17. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

It's interesting for the future though.

It's just a matter of time before computing power is enough to 'emulate' a human brain (just need to work out the software and how to download the data)

Once that happens that opens the floodgates to all kinds of interesting possibilities

(okay okay, i read too much science fiction, i can see it happening though, only 'when' is the question) :lol:

Just imagine if you could quicksave/quickload your brain, restore from backups... :eeek:

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I LOVE SHORT CIRCUITS!!!!

Its what got me into Robotics as a kid, so awesome I have the original tapes still and the DVDs ^__^

19. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

So the singularity is Ghost in the Shell -> Armitage -> Terminator -> Matrix? In that order?

20. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

You're making some rash assumptions. So far as we know, the brain doesn't work like so simple a way as one neuron equating to one bit in a hard drive or one transistor in a CPU. It isn't a fixed form or function device.

There's a level of redundancy in the brain we're nowhere near emulating in silicon, too. I'd like to see a computer where you could rip out half of its components and the rest would re-wire to compensate. Although I suppose you could slightly analogise with a dual-CPU set-up - call the northbridge the corpus callosum and take each CPU as a hemisphere. Given appropriate design and software, it would - theoretically - be possible to disable one core without killing the PC. But as the brain is the CPU, hard drive and RAM all made out of the same components, we're still a long way from any soft of appropriate model. The idea that the brain evolved in (at least) RAID 1 does rather amuse me, though.

And that's just the hardware. The 'software' we run on is far less decipherable.

Until we understand exactly how the brain and mind do work we've no hope of emulating them. Biology is far from a digital science yet.

Tags: Add Tags