1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft to disable AutoRun on writeable devices

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Doesn't this break 2000000010 usb drives with the secure drive Doohickery?

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

possible. but the secure doohickery may well be on a small bit of onboard ROM, which could still autoplay. i'm only speculating here. if that's how it's not done now, it's how it will need to be done in THE FUTURE.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

sounds sensible to me.

5. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

It will not break drives with secure software. You will still be able to navigate and run what is needed to get into them.

I have never liked the autorun feature. I pretty much always set it to open the folder for USB drives and I disable it for my CD-ROMs.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

about bloody time!!

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah whats messed is, I've lent out my hardware and it comes back with a trojan on it.. even happened on a digital camera I lent lol- I'm like dood, you know you got a trojan

denial.. the truth is the botnet is huge.. I dunno how they can stop it because alot of people with computers don't know how they actually work- they know how to get on facebook though.. autorun is a big deal in this area- it's like a easy way into a choobies rig..

I gotta tell this story cause it's just too funny and it relates directly to this.. I used to trojan alot of the games I handed out- this was back in the late 90's.. so anyways I traded this one guy who used to talk mad smack about how he was a hack and how he was learning java rofl reality check.. he didn't know much

I silkroped a trojan onto one of the games I gave him.. anyways got all his passwords online- the irc used to be blowing up with ips as it spread around.. well one day got bored and (since I knew this guy thought it'd be funny).. so I made his machine call him a black midget and all this other stuff about him violating microsoft codes rofl- omg he just froze then shutdown

well turns out wasn't so funny.. see in his world, a computer was a physical thing- he thought someone had hacked him and so he took his computer apart and took out the chip (I think he thought that would get rid of it) and put it back in.. the computer was fubared after that- that little prank cost him 500 dollars :D I mean I felt really bad about it for quite awhile and he was out to kick my ass after that- used to run into buddies of mine at this computer show what would come into town every month, they'd tell me he was lookin for me..

this guy, serious wouldn't put it past him, would have probably shot me.. I stopped with the antics after that.. but it was all because of windows- I mean what mental midget thought that would be a good idea- stick in a cd and whatever it says in the ini runs without permission.. oh yeah let's set that by default while were at it! :lol:

good they are getting rid of this.. if they would maybe make a 'wizard' that explained how file systems work- instead of trying to dumb everything down it'd go a long way imo

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

went down the local photoshop, and came back with my USB have a stupid startup virus. because i was Vista, i noticed it and formated it.

still, it's about time!

who care about security programmed USB sticks, they should be able to execute it manually, as TreeDude said. and hopefully this will also break those annoying U3 programs that gets attached to USB devices.

all we want is a storage device! if we wanted portable applications, we'd boot Live session off the USB drive for maximum security and native programs.

9. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I dont use autorun also. I want to put a CD/DVD/USB in to the PC and have it do NOTHING. Then when im ready ill tell it what to do.

10. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

mobile broadband USB sticks are set for bother then . . . . . .

11. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

if it does, they were already broken. you've been able to manually disable autorun since forever ago.

12. quack

quack Minimodder

Sensible and about time.

13. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Not really, I had no problem using one with AutoRun disabled (one of several necessary configuration steps in Windows IMHO). You just have to run the install file manually and it shouldn't take the suppliers long to adjust their instructions accordingly. Almost every game manual includes a section "If Autorun is disabled..." in their installation section.

14. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

agree 100% astral but 99% of our customers (who we provide tech support to, mostly business users) wouldn't know how to follow a browser install, let alone dig around for the install instructions of a mobile broadband usb stick.

either way, it will keep us busy

15. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Take the BOFH approach - make your support available online only. If they can't get their stick working (starting to sound like a medical complaint now...) then they can't complain to you about it. ;)

16. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i dont like autorun anyway it i put something in i want to choose what happens and when to run it

17. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

I don't mind auto run if it runs when I tell it to. For example if I put a game CD in I have no problem right clicking the CD drive and saying "auto run", but I don't have it enabled by default. Nothing more anoying that putting the game disk in to have it pop up with the auto run window while your trying to launch the game.

Tags: Add Tags