1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI X-Slim X340 Ultra Portable Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 21 May 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Very nice. Pity about the keyboard.

If this had been available a couple of months ago, I might have picked this up instead of the Dell I ended up with.

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

matt screen, matt cover and better keyboard and MSi would of had my business BUT.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Keyboard looks fine to me, it's got the nice american return key.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's much smaller than a typical American return key. The last laptop I had had a US keyboard layout and I was using that for three years and I didn't find the half-heightedness a problem... however, when you combine that with the keys down the side, you've got a button that's not much bigger than a standard key, which can be a cause for frustration.

6. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Last edited: 21 May 2009
  7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Shame about the keyboard, screen [give me matte, goddamnit!] and yeah, maybe the CPU. Dual-core would've been nice but actually, it's meh.

Next generation of all those ultra-thin laptops should be awesome... hopefully. ;)

8. Vittorio

Vittorio What's a Dremel?

I think I will stick to a MacBook Air, looks better, works better, better battery life and best of all doesnt have all the problems of a vista based machine. The biggest plus is the total lack of virus's that are the phage of windows based systems.

I'm a PC that actualy does work, I'm a MAC PC.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol whatever you have to say to convince yourself to justify the purchase... personally I dont care to spend around 1800.00 on sub 600.00 worth of hardware that extra ~1200.00 all so I can say hey guy check out how thin this laptop is, arnt I cool, please like me....
    no thank you I will make a smarter purchasing decision then that ~_~

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

Err, Macs can get viruses and just because most don't affect you, it doesn't mean you won't unknowingly send them out to Windows users. We had a situation like this in the office the other week, where a Mac had been attacked (but remained unaffected) and then sent a number of Windows machines' AV software into overtime when a USB key used to transfer some data was plugged into the Windows machines. Therefore, I'd say anti-virus is just as necessary on a Mac as it is on a Windows machine.

11. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

All that comparison to Air but no benchmarks with the Air? what gives?

12. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Different OS's and more mature drivers would skew any comparison between the two.

My biggest question is will it still fit in an envelope?:D

13. HourBeforeDawn

ah beat me to it, ya difference OSes and besides it was more of a size comparison to show that people dont have to be suckered in getting an over priced useless thin laptop and can go for something half the price, thats almost as thin and has a lot more functionality and more usefulness.

Last edited: 22 May 2009
  14. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Samusung NC20 for me over MSI X-Slim or Mac air anyday

15. HourBeforeDawn

ah but this is for the most part a laptop versus a netbook so the comaparrison to the NC20 isnt really all that valid as its an oversized netbook. Where as this has much more functionality then that.

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

It does fit in an envelope, yes.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

We'll have a review of the NC20 very soon

18. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Looks better, yes. Works better, debatable (lack of connectivity springs to mind). Battery life, if you believe Apple's 5 hour figure you are a loon, more like 3 hours even under light use. The problem I find with the air is that for its form factor I want long battery life and 3G connectivity, but its tiny non-removable battery and awkwardly placed USB port dash those hopes. Netbooks make a better go of it and are the cheapest laptops you can get and all you have to do is sacrifice screen size.

I like macs when I'm not using them for work but the air is terrible. The best thing it did was pave the way for the new mac books (which are awesome by the way :D).

Also you should still get AV with a mac. OSX may not have as many vulnerabilities as Windows but Apple will take an age to fix even major security issues.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not going to get drawn in to the Mac vs PC debate, because I've been there many, many times over the last 10/12 years...

A little while ago, I was all for laptops over a desktop. Then my laptops started to get a little long in the tooth and started to chug along; when I finally bought a modestly-spec'd PC after nearly 5 years of laptop use, the difference was staggering. Now a laptop means sheer portability to me; small, easy to carry, unobtrusive and connectivity (peripherals and networking) is pretty much the top of my list. Netbooks fill this gap very neatly.

Personally, this MSi machine would be too large for me; I've got used to lugging around a 9-inch netbook. The spec looks quite decent, but I'm not really interested in having a high-spec ultra portable - I want something I can quickly check my mails on, browse the web, and maybe play the odd video now & then. If anything could convince me to go to a slightly larger form factor, I think the Dell Adamo just might.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, laptops are all about portability for me too - it's not about high specs or even gaming. If I want to game, I'll use my desktop PC or play iPhone games when I'm travelling (if I have time to game). I've got an NC10 and a ThinkPad X301 - both weigh less than 1.45kg and deliver decent battery life (>5 1/2 hours) with wireless/3G enabled.

The X301 is not small at 13.4in - it's the same size as the X-Slim - but it's a brilliant machine (although there's one annoyance with battery usage priority, as I swapped the DVD drive for a bay battery) and fits in the same fairly small laptop bag I've been using for the NC10. My previous full-fat laptop was a 12.1in ThinkPad and I find the X301 is easier to carry because it's slightly thinner and weighs less(!) :)

Tags: Add Tags