1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect 2 details revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oooh... Can't wait. If it's as entertaining as the first this'll be win. :D

3. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure about only playing Shephard for a small portion, I usually hate games that have you playing more than one character. I like to really develop a single character.

Still, it is Bioware so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

4. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

"darker and much grittier style" oh crap, not again.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That's PR speak for 'our engine does badly when there is too much on screen so we have to make it really dark so that you don't have enough view distance to nosedive the framerate'. :naughty: Like Doom 3. ;)

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's PR speak for "we want more violence, sex and drugs".

7. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

This all sounds good, except for the prospect of being forced to lose Commander Shepherd as the main playable character. They'd better have an extremely cool alternative character for us if this is the case.

I can't wait to track down Cerberus. The small aspects of their influence on the galaxy were some of the most intriguing parts of the first game.

I really hope the Shadow Broker turns up in some form. It was too much of a tease in the first game to hint at his/her existence and great influence, but to provide almost no revelation or interaction with him/her. They definitely need to flesh that out in the sequel.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I hate Mass Effect.

It is the embodiment of a good game, yet I cannot understand why. It made me play it through twice without letting me know why I couldn't put the controller down :(

I'm looking forward to ME2, if only so Shepard gets fired into the sun or something.

9. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Oh noes - I hated having to talk to that cocky tw*t. Anyone who calls themselves 'Joker' deserves a slap. or at least to have the spacebar hammered until they finally shut up...

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I rather enjoyed Joker, highly entertaining :D

Lookin forward to ME2

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

played mass effect on a crt at 1600x1200 8q with the grain mode on.. it was like watching a freaking movie- on lcd it didn't have the same effect.. can't wait for the sequel

12. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

a darker world would be good for ME2. The Witcher showed that you could be "dark" without going totally emo (condemned anyone?). What they need to fix before anything else though is the utterly broken inventory system of ME. Its never fun to have to wade through pages of unsorted items in order to find the weapon you want. How bout some nice small icons, maybe some stacks, and maybe even shrinking the amount of stuff you can carry and have less reliance on picking up everything you see?

13. pimlicosound

I wished Joker had had more dialogue. There was only one conversation to be had with him (about his disease but still being an ace pilot), or did I miss something that would develop his character?

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

There were 2 or 3 dialogues you could have I think, nothing much sadly

15. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I just hope they don't forget to put the AA option in this time.

Awesome game, but very frustrating spending so much time fiddling with driver properties and so on to try to attempt to force anti-aliasing on :nono:

Never have liked film-grain in any game so far myself, but i play on LCDs :p

16. pimlicosound

I played ME on X360 and the film grain looks fantastic on my Panasonic plasma TV. No AA issues there, either. :p

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Can't. ****ing. Wait.

18. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

I just recently picked ME up on Steam. Best $20 I've ever spent on a game. I'm not sure how it can get all that much darker; the game already lets you play as a complete jackass and the world is fairly reflective of the darker aspects of civilization running concurrent to the enlightened side. An anti-citadel would be good, though; I didn't like that I effectively had only one major world to visit that wasn't part of the storyline missions.

I'm honestly fine with anything they do so long as they bring Wrex back. Even when I was playing for Paragon, he's such a badass that I couldn't help myself from agreeing with him constantly.

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah you could force it in the control panel.. found some shots of the film grain effect check these out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://yfrog.com/0tmasseffect2008072718013jx

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Ugh, thanks for reminding me how horrible the film grain looks :D

I still don't think much of a graphics filter that essentially makes 'the picture so bad you won't be able to see any jaggies anymore'
    but all personal preference really :)

thats because the 360 GPU has a RAM chip on the GPU package itself, giving it essentially 'free' AA' on any game.

as a bizarre consequence, half-hd-res (but with AA) on the 360 looks nicer than full HD res (or greater) with no AA on a PC

Tags: Add Tags