1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EU urges music industry to change online rights

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 May 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. quack

quack Minimodder

EU-wide rights makes a lot of sense.

3. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

"Artists are worried they may lose royalties if these current rights are changed..."
    Because Bono doesn't make enough?

Artists, like game developers, deserve there money. However, I fail to imagine a business model that would so nerf their royalties that they fall into bankruptcy (or even middle-class citizen).

$0.02

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i was thinking about this this morning.... weird.... must have been because i learned that last.fm started to be payed outside of the UK and Germany...

5. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

The EU is going after everyone these days.

6. Comet

Comet What's a Dremel?

FINALLY. And while at it do it with the other industries such as the movies and gaming industry. But this is only a small step. The fact is we should go even further. GO GLOBAL DAMN IT.
    I've been expressing my opinion about this for quite some YEARS. Yeah years. And I think I'm not alone in this. This ONE of the main issues we have here in Europe. And one of the major reasons behind piracy. Yeah piracy. Why? The current business model that obviously many in the industry want to maintain is EXTINCT. People want to get stuff quickly and without hassle without region imposed restrictions. We have a tool called the internet where everything can converge, but yet many in the world want to keep it fractured. Guess what industry experts. Your customers are out there. And instead of you investing on getting the means for fast and quality delivery of your products to them, you worry about college teenagers building pirate networks. Get this straight, when I HEAR my buddies in the US talk about the latest Heroes episode I want to see it, but the stupid thing is I CAN'T. I got the money to rent it. Got the connection to watch it online. I'm willing to watch ads and all that. But I'm restricted by my localization. I want to rent movies on Netflix. No can do. I want easy access to ALL the albums in iTunes despite territory. And guess what. Not possible. I want to buy games online straight to my PC. Sorry but that service is not available in your region.
    And even if I do try hard to get what I can I still have to deal with issues such as. Credit card verification where you're buying a product in X country but your CC is from Y country. I want Full-HD movies streamed straight at home with great visual quality and nice features. I don't want to be pushed into going to the theaters because unfortunately NOT EVERYONE likes the movies that I like. So I eighter go alone, or I DON'T. Thing is I don't like going to the cinema alone. So one question. What services does the industry provide for such a person? Yeah you have to wait 6 months for dvd release. And yet I don't want the DVD. I just want to watch the damn movie. Why won't you instead have your own online cinema and stream the movie to my home. I'll pay the same ticket price and everything. Point is you're asking people born in the internet age to put the internet aside and use the traditional model. Sorry to tell this but. Adapt OR Die

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Comet, I really like what you're saying but for God's sake please make it easier accessible! :p

I agree with you that we have to tackle those hurdles and finally go global! Why is it so much easier to sell the same shoes, shirts, trousers, drinks, food and what not globally but something that is not bound to any country like music or movies fail to be sold world wide?
    In iTunes you can get movies now. Can you get movies in their original language in Germany? I don't think so. Why not? Business models.

There are so many people in the industry talking about how great globalization is but when it comes to music and movies for example the industry fails miserably. :sigh:

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+1

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Not so sure.
    Look at how Steam failed with just the € introduction.
    Went from a viable alternative to buy games to just an acceptable DRM system.

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

That's not really the EU's fault, is it?

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Will wait for the pending legislation (expected at years end) before answering.

Tags: Add Tags