1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Psystar enters Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

I guess it was on the cards.

I'd attempted to review their products for a while, but they resisted. I spoke to their PR guy, who I'm pretty sure then pretended to be someone else on the phone.

I do wonder about the people who have purchased machines and could potentially have bricks or machines that can't be updated.

Any ideas on how support will continue?

3. quack

quack Minimodder

There probably won't be any.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It always amazes me how Apple is allowed to bully the competition and noone really speaks out about it. What Apple is trying to do is hang on to a sort of monopoly due to "reasons" that sound pretty hollow in my ears.

Perhaps one should be thankful that Apple thus far hasn't commandeered the counterfeit police and their steam roller to demolish the "infringing product".

5. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

well... isn't Mac OS X considered a firmware for their special computer machines?
    It's not a FREE operating system for use on any platform. This is the license.
    Whatever Psystar found that made it legal to sell these machines I want to know.

I'm sure I would be sued if I tried to sell my own router hardware with Cisco Router firmware on it.

6. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

Apple prevent you installing their OS on anything other than Apple hardware. I think Psystar tried a variety of ways to get around it. They were also selling the OS preinstalled, which I think violates EULA stuff.

The courts thus far have upheld Apple's side of things.

7. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Wasnt it on the basis that "a Mac is just a bog standard Intel based PC" and that the version of OS X supplied was a perfectly legal copy?

Its not really like making your own router and putting someone elses firmware in it, its exactly like buying a preinstalled PC and reinstalling Linux on it because you dont want Windows.

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 27 May 2009
  9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

see that was Apples plans all along, get a smaller company involved in a drawn out lawsuit until they go bankrupt so no matter the out come of the case, Apple wins.... and to think people say M$ is a monopoly ha....

10. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Wait, isn't OSX an ... OS?
    I can put Ubuntu on anything. (Almost literally, not even traditional computers.)
    I can but Windows on any machine that can run it.
    If I buy a legit copy of OSX, why can't I put it on any machine that can run it?
    I get that very few machines CAN run it, but if I'm willing to go through the hassle, and have a legit license? My time, my money.

Its like any other mod. If you can buy the parts and have the time to make it all work together-- why should they be allowed to stop you? Shouldn't a EULA clause that prevents such fair use be seen as anti-competative and as an attempt to monopolize a sector of the market?

azrael- likes this.
  11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Apple's EULA is the problem, the court have no choice but to follow that agreement. IMHO the EULA should be thrown out of the window, their OS is great, but why do we have to use their crappy genuine hardware?

Tags: Add Tags