1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HDMI 1.4 features unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Fantastic, ethernet over HDMI is a unexpected surprise and anything that can help reduce cable sprawl is welcome. Looking good!

3. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

the resolution is pretty nice to. 4096x2160 :eek:

Could be an excuse to get a new tv ;)

4. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I think these higher resolutions will do more to kill Blu-Ray than anything else. There is no way people will buy new players every year or two. Though that is normal in the PC world, alot of people went 20 years with the same TV, back in the Vast Wasteland days.
    I would REALLY like to see 4096x2160, in TVs, and more importantly to me as a PC Gamer, on the PC.

Awesome all the way around.

S*D

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

The should be able to upgrade the BluRay system to support higher resolution ( I hope)...
    Would love a 4Kx2K projector for home tho ;)

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Ethernet over HDMI is great... but they can't make it gigabit? Let's hope that streaming that new 4096x2160 content doesn't stutter, then... oh well, a 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing...

7. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Any film with digital effects pre Spider-man 3 will only have a 2K digital intermediate. That means for vast percentage of the studios digital back-catalogue.. only a 1080p-ish master exists. Many films would have to be completely remastered with new scans of the original negative and have their effects re-rendered (if the assets still exist.. they probably don't) for a new 4K master. Sure there are many 4K restorations being done on old films now, I'm sure they would look great, but for all the content for the last 15 years it's basically too expensive to release it at 4K.

But even if all films were available at 4K, it's overkill and they'll be selling snake oil..

4096x2160 = 8,847,360 pixels
    1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels

The optimum sitting distance and screen size for 1080p is 10 feet from a 60inch TV. Sit further away or have a smaller TV and you won't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.
    That means for a screen with a resolution 4.267 times higher.. you need to either sit 10 feet from a 255 inch screen (and probably build a bigger house) or 5 feet from a 120 inch screen (and get a sore neck from looking left and right like you are watching tennis).. that's just to make those pixels and detail worthwhile. Basically, I won't be upgrading from blu-ray/1080p any time soon.

Now for the use of 4K in a monitor or touch display. Only 2.5 feet from 60 inches is needed to see that pixel information. Which is nuts, but a bit more doable. The screen real estate would certainly be welcome and for those shooting and mastering movies at 4K it would be a good idea.

8. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Hell yes! 8 megapixel films here we go!

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

to be honest I am tired of how quickly these standards are changing, Im to the point where I am tired of wasting my money because I found out what I just spent a lot of money on will be replaced in a month, I mean come on whats the point.... I am so for progression in tech it just gets annoying at times... well I guess Ultra Blu-Ray or whatever they were calling it will be coming out pretty soon then too lol.

10. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Displayport being open an open standard, wouldn't it already support these resolutions?
    Either way we can all expect a new displayport 1.2 to be ratified now for inclusion of these unique features.

11. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Put it this way, I haven't gone HD with anything yet, not TV or TFT for my monitor. So here's my stupid question: You need to change cabling to get all these goodies, but will the physical ports themselves need technical changes as well?

12. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Ethernet over HDMI is a sure win.

13. JrRRr

JrRRr Minecraft addict

t's all about the money! That's the way it goes, deal with it, or get out, you could always let your neighbour win the race to being the most hi-tech-guy.. :p

Tags: Add Tags