1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia to provide 3D glasses for all

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Oh dear god

3. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

What is the point?
    I highly doubt that sales will improve. Anyway how many games are actually compatible with them? Isn't that a slightly bigger boundary than the actual technology?

4. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Ah, I've been wanting to try 3d for a while even if it is just a novelty - but the red/blue glasses are really hard to find...

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

no no no no no!
    whyyyyy!?
    anaglyph stereo (that's red/blue 3D for you and me) really really needs to die. UGH!!

,.... also: 'nvidia designed colour palette?'

the technology needs chromatically opposite colours. that's not a design choice - it's a bloody requirement.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm with Fod. No, just... no.

Terrible idea.

I can't have been more than 10 the last time I used 3D glasses like these - I don't fancy looking at the world solely in red/blue colours again.

7. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

OLD SKOOL COOL!

Gimme!

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

:(

or

:)

I'm not sure yet. Yes, it's oldschool but do I really want those "glasses" back? And please tell me you can wear them OVER your own glasses at least.

9. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

will we who already have nvidia cards be able to get the red-blue 3d for our games?

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I thought we were way past 1 April. Apparently I thought wrong...

11. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

This drivers to allow red-blue glasses to work are already out and have been for a while.

12. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I have a pair of red-green glasses! Will they also work? Or is Nvidia's innovative palette system at work here?

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Wow. Talk about flashback to early 80's comics and "brand new story IN 3D!!!!!!" lol
    Good old Eagle and 2000AD.....

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

All 3d games are compatible. Nvidia have had stereo 3d drivers for many years. I have several pairs of liquid crystal shutter glasses that work with Nvidia stereo drivers and any game. This is really just a re-launch of a system that's been around for many years.

I say that any game will work with 3d on an Nvidia GPU with stereo drivers but there are a few problems with first person shooters. Generally the gun aim site on an FPS game isn't rendered in 3d. It's done in 2d which basically means that although the game world renders perfectly in 3d, the gun site is 2d and useless for aiming. Nvidia often release stereo 3d driver updates for this to make FPS games compatible.

Any game that doesn't rely on a gun sight will play fine and those that do have a sight are ok when nvidia add them to the list with a driver update.

I used to play Doom 3 and serious sam and many others in stereo 3d with LCS glasses.

Games are great in 3d. Objects can come out of the screen and it makes games feel more realistic.

15. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

erm...yeah. That appears to be a really good idea????WTF????lol

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Like PhysX, the 3d tech that nVidia bought out is old and failing and is heading the opposite direction that the rest of the market is heading and was just yet another bad investment and waste of money on their part... oh well...

17. iggy

iggy Minimodder

[​IMG]

didnt know kim jong il worked for nvidia?

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

^^^ he's way too good looking to be Kim Jong Il

Who is going to wear glasses that make you look like you have the IQ of a 5 year old or what if you have glasses, are they going to make them big en enough to fit over them

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

3d glasses tend to not work for people who wear glasses as they can only really work well if both eyes have the same vision, if one eye is stronger then the other it throws off the illusion of being in 3d... ya I know it sucks ~_~ thats why I have high hopes for those 3d monitors as it fixes that issue for people who dont have same vision in both eyes as no glasses are needed. :)

20. Grizby

Grizby What's a Dremel?

I think it's pretty awesome, as long as they're not jacking up the prices of their video cards. Other than that, I don't know why the majority of the posts so far think that it's a stupid idea. It's a novelty, and it's fun... and occasionally it gives you a headache if you play the games in 3D for too long.

Before you all further bash nvidia, go try it out for yourself first :p
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Vision_3D_Games.html

I've tried it out on L4D and Team Fortress 2, and it's great fun.
    http://gamerslastwill.com/2009/02/02/3d-left-4-dead-for-free-oh-yeah-heres-how/

Blue/red and blue/yellow 3D both work really well, even if you wear glasses (First hand experience with someone who has really messed up eyes).

Last edited: 2 Jun 2009
Tags: Add Tags