1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 features improved multi-threading

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Anyone keeping an eye on Task Manager or similar in Windows 7 will probably have spotted this - and while it's vastly improved over XP/Vista... 7 still doesn't do it perfectly. If I fire up something like video encoding with multiple stages (some of which are single threaded, some multi-threaded, the first single threaded run is spread over all the cores of my i7 rig. If multi-threading then kicks in and utilises, say, 90% of all 8 cores, when that completes and a single threaded run takes over again, it'll be at 100% on just one of the 8 cores, rather than randomly fluctuating across all 8. At least, that's what I've been seeing in build 7100. Microsoft might have improved it even more with newer builds.

3. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

+1

4. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

Still its another bonus. Don't forget additional software needs to be written in a way which can utilise these cores as well...

5. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I don't really see the hurrah about Intel's turbo mode.
    1) this is Bit-tech, owners of Lynnfield will be overclocking, hence turbo goes off
    2) it will be a while before we see LGA 1156 chips going into hte normal sub £300 machine that people seem to want and since when did those people need a self overclocking quad core anyway!

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I am in absolute amazement with how well Windows 7 has been, this is by far going to be one of the best OS I think I have ever used :)

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

why would anyone turn off turbo mode?

i5 will allow 8 threads together with proper bus to maximise its speed (rather than fsb)

Win7 will be great, can't wait to get my hands on some SSD to use Win7

Tags: Add Tags