1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The iPhone 3GS - You can't beat them, so join them, but you can still hate them...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 10 Jun 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Don't do it Antony, don't give in to the peer pressure. There are better phones out there.

3. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Dont follow the legions of brainwashed! Apple make good products, ill fully admit that they are sexy but as you've stated.
    A better product can be had for less.
    But i do have a lothing for the PR machine and for those fan-boi's that just keep telling me that apple's are the best thing since sliced bread and they are great for graphics.......

4. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

I have to admit I am a little tempted with the 3G S.

The main reason being that there haven’t really been any decent phones released so far this year (at least in my eyes).

This year should be great for phones, there are 2 new players to the Smartphone market, but so far the 2 android devices are largely disappointing due to poor hardware, and the Palm Pre won’t be released until later in the year (in the UK). Then there is WM 6.5, which isn’t released until later in the year, and let’s face it the previous versions have been buggy to say the least, so I am unsure if I want to take the risk.

I’m tempted with the N97, but I have had Nokia’s for about 5 years now and want a change, and Symbian seems a little dull compared to its rivals now.

Though the 3G S isn’t released in the UK until August so hopefully by then there will be some more decent phones on the horizon.

5. dolphin-promotions

Oh just realised you quoted June 19th for the release, isn't that the US release? All other countries get it in August I think?

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Then check out some of the efforts by HTC - namely the Touch HD 2, or Diamond 2. They also made the two Android phones that you refer to (the Dream, which is the G1, and the Sapphire, which is the G2), but their Windows Mobile efforts are much better. They're pretty much the market leader in Windows Mobile based phones, but you won't usually find them being branded as HTC...

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I must disagree with the creative v's apple. When i bought my 5gb ipod the choice was between this little device the size of deck of cards (or there abouts) or the creative that was the size of a circa 2000 bulky cd walk man. That wasn't a triumph of PR that was a triumph of design and form factor. Thats the only iPod i've ever owned and despite being firewire only and the fact that itunes (xp) hadn't been released yet it was still a far superior unit to any thing out at the time.

Now the web is awash with little hard drive or huge capacity flash players but the fact is apple might not have done it first but they did it right which is the exact same argument for the iPhone. For the record i don't own one and don't aspire to one.

8. trickster

trickster What's a Dremel?

I still have my original iPod 5GB! just about still works too though its in desperate need of a new battery!
    I have an iPhone 3G but have no intention of upgrading to the 3G S. Its just not that big a gap between the two, especially for the cash input required. Plus I already have a SatNav, don't use video or take many photos without using a proper camera.
    I'm probably only half Apple fanboy, i love the products but still need to justify buying them, I could afford a mac but still choose to buy PCs!

Shame Apple didn't raise the bar - just a little bit - with the 3G S.

9. qupada

qupada What's a Dremel?

"[...] and god awful early versions of iTunes, [...]"
    You say this like it isn't still.

I'm the first to confess that I'm not an Apple fan, but I have honestly tried to objectively evaluate the iPhone. No two ways about it, I hate the thing. Like generations of Apple products before it, its software initiates a frustrating and perpetual fight against it to get what you want done - and that's before you even consider the additional restrictions that come with it being a mobile phone. Let's face it, there's no stopping the momentum, nothing I say is going to stop people buying Apple products. But this 'centre of the known universe' **** has got to stop.

There's no easy answer to this problem though, I can't seem to find one single phone that has all the features I want. The HTC Touch Diamond 2 with a capacitive touchscreen instead of the its resistive one and Android instead of WinMo and we'd be about there. If only we could have mix-and-match phones like that in real life.

10. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

Of course you can build a cheaper computer if you go and buy the components yourself. You can build something yourself that's cheaper than an Alienware too. But you rarely see people blasting Alienware because they're expensive. I just don't get the comparison. You can do your plumbing, electrical work cheaper if you do it yourself, but that doesn't make plumbers or electricians expensive.

You're also failing to mention Mac OS X, which is the reason why I've used Macs for so long. Granted hardware is limited, but the OS shines.

I've owned iPods since the first generation not because they have white headphones or they're fashionable but because they are easy to use and I have always felt the quality has been excellent. One of the best iPod's I owned was a Shuffle (before it went around the washing machine a few times).

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Just think of everything else you could do with £540. You could take up an entirely new hobby, like kickboxing, archery, rock climbing or alcoholism.

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

ergh! it's not £540 with a contract. only an idiot would buy it on PAYG. and you are forgetting something:

EVERY smartphone EVER released gets priced at the £500 range on pay as you go! there are no exceptions! apple is not unique in this regard. at least with the iphone you get the 12 months free 3G, which is worth a minimum of £120!

13. dolphin-promotions

I am/was considering the Touch Pro 2, however it runs WM 6.1 so I am unsure.

I had a TyTn/Vario 2 when it was out and while the phone was great Windows Mobile was buggy as hell.

I do agree they make some great phones I just don’t know why android has been put on arguably the 2 poorest phones they have released this year

14. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Lying to your colleagues is bad, mmmkay?

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I've still got my HTC TyTN 2 but it is pretty slow, even after trying out various ROMs and it's a bit of a brick too, especially with the double capacity battery I have in it too! I've noticed the Touch HD and Touch 3G have faster CPUs so did consider them, and then the 3GS came along. I might have been tempted by them but Orange's contract prices for data are utter poo.

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

First year:

£35 * 12 = £420 plus cost of phone.

Subsequent years you'll be paying:

£45 * 12 = £540

17. Fod

right. but most people are paying at least £20 a month for their phone contracts anyway. and the £35/month contract on the iphone is VERY good value for money, compared to the one i got from Three for my n95 8gb. Go price up a deal on the N97 on any other provider, there's not a massive difference in price.

to compare the one-off cost of the PAYG iphone to the TCO of a phone on contract and say 'look, the same lol' is, honestly, retarded, and i'd expect a lot more from a professional journalist site such as this place.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2009
  18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

tbh, I've been considering getting an iphone.

I've used SE phones for the last few years starting with the P900 (which was great), then the SE camera phone (died just after giving it to mum). I'm currently using the W910i, which while I like it, it's started getting the same problems that the camera phone had before it died (screen knocks off, backlight switches on and a red light on the back of the unit lights up and the vibrate function kicks in). Dad had a small silver SE phone and that also had the same problem.

I'm not overly keen on any of the other phones I've seen lately (and I'm not really sure I want another SE phone as they seem to have a short shelf life going by the last 3, although the p900 is still going strong apart from the battery life), and I haven't liked the Nokia offerings since the Matrix phone.

19. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The PC was still cheaper, with a copy of windows, a much faster CPU, much better graphics, better screen (lets be frank, the iMac doesn't have a great screen) and it was watercooled. I'd say that makes it better value, despite everything. Furthermore, people do blast Alienware and other extoritionate PC manufacturers, simply because they don't offer value for money, unfortunatly, they, like Apple, have fanboys.

Finally, how on earth can you say the build quality of the stock earphones with the iPod is anywhere near decent, they're as bad as the £3 Tesco Value rubbish. Whilst the iPod itself is a capable device, and I wouldn't be unhappy to recieve one as a gift, the supporting software and bundled headphones are total c**p. I'll stick with my Zen X-fi and Denon 771's I think.

BTW: Plumbers and electricians are expensive:p

20. Fod

sorry, delete.

Tags: Add Tags