1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory 16gb DDR3 - 2x Sticks vs 4x Sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bdigital, 7 Nov 2012.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hi Everyone,

I would like to put 16gb of ram in my photo editing rig. Its main use is importing, editing and publishing photos, along with some light gaming when my gaming rig is out of action.

Is there any major difference between using 2x 8gb sticks or 4x 4gb sticks? My understanding (which is probably out of date now) is that the only downside was when overclocking 4x sticks introduced a higher risk of instability.

Thank you :thumb:

2. favst89

favst89 New Member

There could be a slight limit to overclocking but as you expect this is a much smaller issue than it used to be on older systems and you are unlikely to notice it unless really pushing the overclock.

A while ago I moved from 2x2gb to 4x2gb and did some benches, see below, I realise this isn't exactly relevant to your question but may help.

The key points for you would probably be more memory helps with editing, surprise surprise, but having more sticks hurts latency a bit which is probably what impacts the games fps.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Memory really won't impact FPS that much..

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Just get 2x8GB for future proofing.

5. bdigital

Thats the problem. The ram i really want doesnt come in 2x8gb, only 4x4gb.

Which is why im asking about the key differences between the two.

If there is a major benefit to going choosing 2x8gb then il go about choosing some different ram. Otherwise il plump for my favourite stuff!

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

7. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Active Member

Why is it your favourite? I've allways just gone for the best performance and value when it comes to my upgrades, unless you're going for a particular color scheme, then why does the RAM have to be so specific?

8. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

The limits on overclocks are not to relivent anymore If your trying to push the CPU to its limits it might matter.

I'd personally buy 2x8gb in your favourite brand.(1600mhz max is fine)

9. bdigital

Because its reliable, its really fast, and it matches the colour scheme in my next build.

I know colour may be a low priority to most, but check out the rig in my sig to see how important it is to me!

Im happy to go for 4x 4gb, i just want to know what the key differences are!

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

As far as I understand it, as long as speed and timings are the same 2 x 8GB should perform basically identically to 4 x 4GB. This may be wrong but I think of it like this: Running two 8GB sticks doubles the capacity each lane has to handle compared to 4GB sticks, whereas 4 sticks halves the lane capacity but channel capacity is the same.

So whilst having two 8s means each sticks has access to the full bandwidth of each channel, there's twice as much data per lane to be handled. And then having 4 4s means each channel's bandwidth is halved but so is capacity per lane.

Does any of that make sense? I know what I want to say but the old grey matter is just staring into space blankly lol

Last edited: 10 Nov 2012
    David likes this.
  11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends on the board you have and what OC you're aiming for.

Our latest ones with T-Topology actually can benefit from all DIMMs filled due to equaling of trace length means they'll OC just as far as two DIMMs. However these days stability of 4 DIMM at stock or light OCs should be fine - we're well down the refinement of DDR3 PCB designs, it's only if you push the OC T-Topology is better. Buying a single matched 4 DIMM kit is the most important though as they should have been tested together to affirm they'll work together. The faster you push the bus the more small differences between DIMMs affects them as there's less tolerance.

BTW: Can I put your Alpine White TJ07 full worklog on ROG site? I featured it here back in Sept: http://rog.asus.com/163432012/news/september-forum-pc-mods-roundup/ but forgot to contact you about the full build!

12. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

I pushed my x58 to the brink with 6 DIMMs - overclocking was... trickier, I suppose, but not reduced.

13. bdigital

Thanks Bindi - to be honest, i wont be pushing the oc very far at all. Its a photo editing rig for processing 18mp RAW images in lightroom and photoshop. Each one is around 25mb.

Ahhh thank you foe listing my case mod there! I didnt know about that. Unfortunatly i didnt really keep a full build log!! Ive got some old pics of the case before i started work on it (it was red!).

For my next build i will document and record the progress for sure!

Thank you Noiz amd spreadie for the replies.