1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17-40L or EF-S 17-55mm IS

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by J-Pepper, 21 Sep 2006.

?

EF 17-40L F/4 or EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS

1. EF 17-40mm F/4 L

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

[OT]
    Whilst I agree it's awesome, it can't accommodate my 70-200 L IS F2.8 :( Or, in fact, the 20D with grip.

Probably going to add the AW200 to my plethora of bags for those reasons.
    [/OT]

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've got a Tamrac Velocity 7 and I'm probably going to upgrade the the Velocity 9 when I get a 19-35mm sometime in the next month. I find it to be very comfortable and it holds the camera out of my way when I need both hands to do somthing like climb a cliff or some such.

3. olv

olv he's so bright

i've got the 200 and it's ace. accomodates 10d+grip no worries although i've not get a telephoto to test if it's any good at taking one.

4. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

Just thought that I would chip in with my opinions on the 17-40mm. I have owned one since December last year and absolutely adore it - 95% of the time it perfectly suits the type of photography I'm doing (though of course this may not be the case with you), both the optical and build quality are phenomenal and in my opinion it is not unreasonably priced at all. There are times when I wish that I had the 17-55mm F2.8 for the larger aperture and image stabilisation it offers, but then I remind myself of all the 17-55mm owners complaining about the dust that the thing sucks in and the fact that they paid a lot more money for the privilege (and remember that the price of the 17-55mm doesn't not include lens hood). In addition to that there is the fact that if/when I upgrade to full frame in future, the lens will still be useful to me.

5. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Thanks everyone for your thoughts; based upon what I have read here and the poll above i've gone and bought the 17-40mm L.

I hope I won't be disappointed because if I am i'm blaming all of you lot! :grr: :p

6. coorz

coorz Miffed

Don't forget the Canon rebate on the 17-40!

7. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Woohoo! here it is:

[​IMG]

Top Left: This is a picture of my new 17-40mm F/4 L lens as taken with my 50mm F/1.4 lens.
    Top Right: A full resolution cropped image; so smitten with the sharpness of both these lenses - hand held too.
    Bottom:This is a picture of my 50mm F/1.4 as taken with my new 17-40mm F/4 L lens.
    (Aperture F/8 for both photos)
    See the 50% full resolution and detail photos on my site with links to 50% resolution copies as well to see just how amazingly sharp it is!

8. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Please test it and give us a review! :)
    Especially on the fact if F4 is enough and if you don't miss F2.8.

9. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I love the 17-40! A buddy of mine has one, and I borrow it whenever I get the chance.
    But I really want the 17-55. The only thing I don't like about it is that it fills with dust easy, price and that it's not L. (ok, so thats three things.)

Now, this rebate from Canon I saw mentioned earlier? Does it bring it down close to used pricing? Used isn't bad, and people tend to take care of these things.

10. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

It's £70, the rebate.

11. coorz

coorz Miffed

Doubt you'll find a 17-55 used soo soon. Maybe on the fredmiranda buy & sell forum.
    Canon USA rebates
    Us Europeans have different rebates. Click that link to 'request a voucher booklet', not sure if you need to have bought a new camera to be eligible. I got that voucher booklet with my 400d.