1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Opera says IE removal "not enough"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Oh my dear god, this is ridiculas, when will it end?

Sam

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

It needs to be an option upon first boot/installation. There needs to be more options when installing the OS, i.e. the basic/fundamental parts need to be brought to the fore and made optional.

When configuring XP, it's not really until after you've installed that you can tweak/uninstall bits you don't want (short of nliteing the original cd image and the general buying public are not knowledgable enough to tinker about).

In contrast, the installation of MS Office is highly configurable. You can pick and choose pretty much anything you want/don't want. I perhaps naievely think it strange that there's nowhere near the options available when installing an OS.

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I really don't want them to remove Internet Explorer!
    How would I download Firefox!?

I jest, I jest, but seriously; FTP.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..wow.

The waahmbulance is strong with this guy.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Opera need to swivel tbh

7. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Opera is just upset because it's no way near as popular as Firefox

8. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

well said mistertad and flibblesan. Opera is the minnow and least popular browser. Wonder when they will complain to the EU about Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome?

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Opera is just mad cos alcohol costs so much in Norway

10. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm...maybe that is problem, alcohol expensive but drugs too cheap.

11. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I still don't understand why MS have to remove it, Windows 7 is their product so they should be allowed to include their own internet browser. Whether or not they remove IE its not going to make a difference to what browser each person preferes and will use.

12. silverphoenix

silverphoenix What's a Dremel?

exactly, its like if Toyota only offered their car with their own Radios would companies like Philips and Sony sue them? Should Toyota offer their cars radioless only as well?

I think if MS was making it hard to install another browser or preventing it somehow then maybe we'd have a case. But how hard is it to install Opera or FF, if anything IE helps aid you in getting FF, Opera, Chrome installed!!

13. Matticus

Matticus ...

Not the best analogy as most car makers standard radios are made by sony/phillips/blaupunkt etc. But I know what you are saying.

Opera are just moaning about nothing, what more do they want? I guess they are pushing for some sort of choice when the OS is installed, or OEM install is set up when the customer gets their machine, choose Opera, FF or IE. if that was the case 99% of people buying a whole computer would choose IE. Most people that install their own OS would probably skip it as they would have the newest version of whatever browser on their pen drive or a disk.

Basically opera need to shut the hell up.

14. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Even if they do convince (sue) MS into removing IE, there will be billions of IE8 CDs put in computer shops. And they'll be bundled with every prebuilt machine. And Opera has achieved nothing, because everyone will take "an internet disc" because it's free, and obviously they want to be able to access the internet on their new PC.

15. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Ok, Opera fanboy here, but seriously I have to agree with what most have said here. I think Opera are taking things too far, although having more options during the OS install like asking you what browser you want, could be a good thing. Though I admit it seems doubtful anything like that will happen.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

The day MS prevent you from installing another browser, is the day Opera have a legitimate complaint.
    At the moment, I'll quote Mister_Tad "Opera need to swivel tbh "

17. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

Why is Microsoft pre-empting the EC ruling ?

What is it about an internet browser that makes it such a significant application ?

It was shown in US court a decade or so ago that IE had been deliberately and unnecessarily engineered to ensure this was the case.

From the US antitrust case:

... and so history repeats itself. Microsoft, the eternal petulant child, resorting to FUD to further its monopolistic ambitions.

Supporting quotes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft, corroborating sources also available.

18. sear

sear Guest

I think I speak for all of us when I say that Opera needs to shut the hell up. Normally I appreciate their guts in attacking Microsoft but increasingly over the last few months, their claims have become less and less legitimate, while the quality of their own product stagnates. They're starting to sound a lot less like Saviours of the Internet and a lot more like whiny PETA members.

19. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Opera should STFU.

Seriously, as long as many websites don't work properly with Opera they will never have a high marketshare and even if MS would bundle Opera and no other browser with Windows people would just use it once to download a browser that works.

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Oh **** off Opera.

Why is our tax-money being wasted by Opera badgering the EU about products that are free to the end-user, over an issue which made sweet ****-all difference to the end-user?

+1

I'm tempted to take Opera off my WinMo phone after this.
    It may be a futile gesture of consumer fist-waving, but I think I'll get tired of grimacing every time I see the opera logo in future.

Tags: Add Tags