1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Legal C64 emulator rejected from App Store

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I won't cry over it, people who really want a C64 emulator on their iPhones will still get it.

Apple really does need to loosen their regulations for App approval, why not have an unsupported 'release anything here, and download at own risk' section of the App Store. It would save me having to jailbreak just to record video.. (pre 3.0)

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Dura lex, sed lex...

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Sounds like a quite clear cut and reasonable rejection to me.

5. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

is it perhaps because people could use the emulator to load code?

"I got Windows 7 running on the iPhone thanks to the C64 emulator!"

i can see it now, it would finish Steve off

6. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Did someone say Golden Axe? *buys*

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Perhaps, but if that's the case it's a bit off of them to lead him to think otherwise originally - if that is what they did.

8. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Hmmm, I wonder if apple will have a 'Games hosting' app in a few months time that will run games, by apple, that are remarkably similar to old C64 games. But their app will only run their games.

Wouldn't surprise me.

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I miss my C64. The transformer blew up, whilst playing The Great Escape or Platoon or somthing as a kid. Emulators just can't revive the old magic.

10. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I hate the drm of apple with a passion, but I would so get a touch just for this app.

As to the rejection, I could see several options, apple always has that kill switch available for one. Put the games into the app, instead allowing them to be D/L'ed to it; and thus no installing further code. This second option could even be more profitable by allowing multiple packs of c64 games/apps for separate purchase.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  11. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Its probably a legal minefield or great advertising ...

12. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Yet another reason for customers and developers to stay away and onto platforms that allow for more freedom.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

or simply jailbreak and download all kind of code-injection based software.

14. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely C64 ROMs are just C64 machine code, and the emulator interprets them, rather than running them directly - or is C64 machine code directly compatible with ARM?

If it is just an interpreter, what about Javascript in mobile Safari? Surely that allows you to execute arbitrary code?

15. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or does every bit of news about Apple recently seem to be them finding new ways to screw people out of more cash or generally just being a draconian bunch of tyrants??
    ipod shuffle 3rd-party headphones, restrictive DRM, severely restricting iphone apps, trying to make jailbreaking illegal under the DMCA the list goes on...

Screw Apple, Android or Moblin FTW

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol recently??? its second Nature for Apple to screw ver their customers, and yet there are still hardcore mac fans, that shows how well the Poison Apple brainwashes its user base and boy do they do it well.

Personally I dont see an issue with this emulator, but ehh I dont plan to or ever buy an iphone anyways so in the end I could care less.

17. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

From what I gather they showed interest before or in early development, which would be before they knew it was going to break the rules. I think he'd have to pre compile the game ROMs into native code to be allowed to have the app.

If you read the article it says

"No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s)."

Safari is built in, and hence Javascript is run by one of it's inbuilt interpreters.

18. RealCyborg

RealCyborg What's a Dremel?

Good to know that we're not alone with that mystical approval policy of Apple.. as sad as it is. We ported ScummVM to official iPhoneOS (it's already available for jailbroken iPhoneOS since some time, we removed all dependancies to Apple private APIs and added a FileManager to receive/send the data) which was also rejected by Apple with the very same reasoning. Any mails to try to resolv the issue and argueing about many other already approved software which does basically the same or similar things were just silently ignored by Apple.

That's why we gave up on such projects (we also have a basically working UAE port for iPhoneOS but all work on it stopped) and offer ScummVM via Ad Hoc distribution for anyone interested.

The whole story, screenshots and stuff can be found here:

http://iphone.stackswap.net/scummvm.html

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

IK+ rulez!

And who gifs a s.. if its not in the istore. there are other ways to release it, what about a simple website with a download link?

20. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

"An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s)."

So the guy wrote an iPhone app that executed code that wasn't Objective C. The rules are clear. It's a shame the guy wasted his time - maybe if he had read the rules ... ?

I side with Apple.

Tags: Add Tags