1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News John Romero responds to id buyout

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

LOL, when was the last time John Romero was relevant in the industry? Over 10 years ago probably.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

As much as I can see where he's coming from, unfortunately he can go swivel. He's done nothing of note for over 13 years now, apart from sell his super-cars and get his girl-gamer ex-wife a boob job.

And you should know better Joe. Romero had nothing to do with Deus Ex. Different designers, different studio.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Romero didn't work on it no, but it was an Ion Storm production and it was Romero who founded the studio and gave Spector's team the autonomy to finish up the game. May have been different teams, but it's worth remembering that if Romero hadn't founded Ion Storm, hired Spector and let him get on with it then Deus Ex might not ever have come into being.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I actually liked Daikatana.
    the only gripe I had was one huge bug.
    i played the game first time, got more than halfway through before seeing I could increase the power of the Daikatana by using it a lot.
    Started again, used only the Daikatana.
    Got up to the maximum level of power for the Daikatana, and about 10mins later in the game, a point where the games crashes, everytime.
    I've tried it a few times since on later systems, and still crash in the same place everytime...

Anyhoo, it seems the people at Bethesda have their heads screwed on correctly after Oblivion and Fallout 3....
    Can't see what harm it could do...yet.
    ;)

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Christ, why does everyone all of a sudden assume that the two developers are now one in the same, and that all that is going to come out of this is a wave of ******* Doom/Fallout Frankengames? Honestly.

Fallout did not buy Doom. Zenimax bought id. It is just like EA buying a developer (but not shredding the team among different development projects). They get the benefits of a big name, and big money, but they are still id, and all of the team are still there.

7. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

"Zenimax Media and id Software have assured fans that the sale will not affect the studio massively and that id Software will remain pretty much the same."

Yeah right.. Like when they said the wouldn't rape FO series and wouldn't disappoint FO fans...

8. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Not in any other case, but Beth sft is a Virus that destroy other ppl's works

9. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

John Romero is gonna make Zenimax his bitch!

10. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Has Romero learned how to do project management or design planning yet?

11. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

EA buying a dev and not reducing it to a memory of it's former self? that's absurd

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I know. Hence why I made the distinction between what EA does and what Zenimax has done. While similar, they are very different.

13. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

It's not even like that as EA is a Publisher. ZeniMax is a parent company of Bethesda Soft. They're not actually a publisher, they're just a media conglomerate. ZeniMax may have been started by Bethesda Soft owner, but that doesn't mean they're the same. :p

Besides, both developers do different things. One's RPG and one's FPS, they'll never over lap because they've both got different products to add to the publishers line up. What use is buying id Software if they're just going to produce more of the **** you've already got? Might as well just buy some upstart studio and get them to do it...

Last edited: 25 Jun 2009
  14. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I didn't really mean the business dynamics behind the acquisition, more how it effects us gamers.

At the end of the day, all this really means for us is that they have more funds and a much bigger oppurtunity for media coverage and advertising, aka the jobs of a publisher. I know that they are not a publisher like EA is, but for all intents and purposes the effects are going to be the same.

15. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

@ b5k: id = sh*t ? Is that what you're trying to say, kid? Wanna go outside and "talk" about it like adults do?! ... :p

Anyways, I agree with JR. Still sad and angry... and scared they'll kill id's ideas. PLEASE DON'T!!!

16. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

Bethesda Soft is ggggoooood. And now DOOM4 will have gggooood characterization:lol::rock:

17. smilinrat

smilinrat What's a Dremel?

Bioware

18. perplekks45

Acquired in late 2007. Give it some time...
    Oh, and Bioware already started making console titles. They'll degrade over time, just wait. :p

19. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

Zenimax said they were leaving ID as it is, letting them run as normal... its not like they bought them out and fired loads of employees and told the rest to start working on some bs movie license game...

20. perplekks45

They can say what they want. It's not like EA or Activision is buying a studio, then states they're going to ruin their franchises, are they?

Tags: Add Tags