1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Final Fantasy VII

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Jul 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

One of my all time favorite games.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Epic game. You've gotta love that one tbh.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Oddly, I don't really care for FFVII. There is a lot to like about the game... for example I like the Materia system as it's superior to the Junction system in FFVIII. But I find Cloud an irritating wossname at the best of times... and for me to dislike the protagonist is an instant game-killer. I packed in FFXII in under an hour (and I've not played it since) because I just can't stand the protagonist. Tidus in FFX drove me close a couple of times, but the draw of the story kept me persevering... like it did in FFVII. I've played it through purely because the story was awesome.

FFVIII, on the other hand, had me hooked. I must have completed that twenty times over the years - in lots of different ways (No Junction Challenge!) There was an interesting bug in the PC version where sometimes the Weapons Monthly magazines weren't needed to upgrade weapons in the Junk Shops... I managed to get Squall's Lionheart before I even went in the Fire Cavern with Triple Triad and Card Mod. :D

The SNES Final Fantasy games were awesome too - FFIV, FFV and FFVI were all enjoyable. :)

If you've got a PS2 and can find it, a very good game is Shadow Hearts (and it's sequel, Covenant)... they're significantly different to the Final Fantasy games, but remain some of the best JRPGing I've ever done. The stories are... epic.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I thought 8 was the best too, I still can't bring myself to complete it, because then it would all end :X

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Never played 8, I do have a copy of it though unfortunately I thought PS1 look a bit too crap for me on a big HDTV to bother with and I don't have a dodgy PSP, recently picked up FF7 on PSN to play on my PSP maybe they'll bring out 8 too.

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I played this over and over in the hospital. Bred a deep love for the game and JRPGs in general.

I want a redone version for PC. Trying to get it to work in Win7 has been a joke. Anyone who has that answer, please LMK.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

For that matter, I've not been able to get FFVII working on XP. Even the unofficial patches don't get it working. :( Dunno what I'm doing wrong. I had a fair amount of luck with VIII on Vista x64 (it works, and doesn't crash) but I cannot get the high resolution patches working. :( Vanilla game only.

LeMaltor - yeah, I both loved and hated the end to FFVIII - right up to the last minute of the credits I was completely hooked... and when they finished I sat there with, "No! It can't be over yet!" running through my mind. ;)

It's worth doing, though... if only for the hilarious video that accompanies the credits rolling. :)

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

for those trying to get it to work it works absolutly flawlessly in epsxe (7 at least havnt tried 8 yet)

i have spent more time on this this than a wow addict who bought it on day one

from lvl 99ing all your chars to the first time you sell a lvl 5 all materia from the game before you get pheonix and the fun getting a golden chocobo

i feel very privilaged to have been around when this was released

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

One of the greatest storys ever. I know its said time and time again - but a remake would be epic. With all this HD stuff now too, it would be something else.

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I have just recently bought FFVII for the PSP, have never actually played it as when I got into the FF series 7 was difficult to come by, especially for a young person with no income. 8 was my favourite and first FF game and 10 I have played the most. 12 was good. 9 was a bit meh and I only finished it once. Looking forward to 13.

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

My favourite FF is 7 but the thing I don't like is how easy the last boss is, especially if you leveled to 99 just to stand a chance against Ruby Weapon that's why I love the PC game, if anyone owns this on PC and wants to play it with a hard mode mod (where it is very hard :p) then go to forums.qhimm.com there's a hard mode mod on there :)

I'm not too impressed with the latest FF's, I think it went downhill after X (meaning X-2-12) they seem to be concentrating a lot more on graphics than gameplay now which makes me sad, FF games always had epic stories and great gameplay, unless it's just me? More graphical technology advances the more people concentrate on it I guess =\

OFF TOPIC: Also why do I feel like every post I've posted is a negative one, me so sorry bit-tech lol

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I disagree, 12 was quite good, not quite as good as 7, 8 and 10, but not a big drop. As for 10-2 I have bought it twice but never played it past the intro. 11 is an MMO so I won't go near it, MMOs require too much time.

14. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

16. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i would buy a ps3 for that game alone

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sadly, only ever a techdemo.... I would literally kill for a version of FFVII with up-to-date HD graphics...

I can honestly say that this is probably my favourite game ever. The storyline took some time to build up steam, but all the while it was slowly digging it's hooks into me.

It took me over 5 years before I completed the game fully (i.e. did everything there was to do), and I damn near failed my GCSE's because of this game. Even now, I have no problem picking it up and diving in.

18. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I tried trading FFVII to a friend once for Mega Man X, the bastage refused ... So I did what all of you FF fans would kill me for, I exchanged it for Super Mario World and Metroid Zero on the GBA :D

hahaha

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Damn you, that just cost me an hour! :wallbash:

Anyway, i can say that i too was properly hooked to this game. I once skipped three nights in a row just to play this. I can confidently say that i put 1000+ hours into it. Seeing scenes from it STILL gives me goosebumps, and i just bought a logitech controller so i can play it on the PC again.

I bought the game twice (damaged disc), and once for the PC. However, i find that the 'naughty' version is easier to get working, so i always use that :p

I'm very 100% positively going to play the "hard mode" that storm2020 mentions.

On a sidenote, what names did you guys usually give your characters? Here's what i had:

Cloud: Xtrafresh (duh)
    Aeris & Tifa: Sylvia & Rachel (oh to be a teenager again :blush:)
    Barrett: Dax (i just thought i sounded cool)
    Red XIII: Storm (pretty proud of that one, always liked it)
    Yuffie: Melanie
    Cid: Kirk
    Cait Sith: Poof
    Vincent: Vincent (they just chose that name too good)

/// drifts away to memories...

Tags: Add Tags