1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mobile directory downed by demand

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Surely this is a good indication that people don't want this service?

Sure there's a central database for landline numbers, but when people take a landline, they have the option there and then to go ex-directory (I did when setting up my current landline a year ago) whereas this 118800 service is a "silent" opt-out where the person has to actively seek out the means to remove themselves.

I'm also sceptical of this "sending a text to confirm" - is this text free? Is it standard network charge? If it's a 6xxxx number, is it included in free text allowances? Is it a premium rate text line at £1 per text etc? absolutely stinks if it's one of those - make money from people removing themselves from something they didn't want to be on in the first place. Bad show.

3. Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter What's a Dremel?

I think all "directory" services like this should be made illegal, as should the ability to buy/sell "client lists" from other companies etc.

A service like this should be "opt in" rather than "opt out".

4. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Should the delisting requests not be automated? Reminds me of the email unsubscription pages that tell you it will take up to a week to process your unsubscription request.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've been trying to delist my mobile number (and other family members numbers) for several days now, and that site has been like that for at least 96 hours. To say I'm pissed is putting it mildly. They should have had networks send a 'do you want to be on this listing' service message to everyone with a mobile phone.

But then, I never saw the point in farming out directory enquiries in the first place.

6. Syphon Filter

I think the governments big idea was to prevent a monopoly (which is what you could have called the old 192 service).

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That is all well and good, but there are a few situations where a monopoly is a good thing, as it provides uniformity. For example, the 'demonopolisation' of the Royal Mail (as opposed to the privatisation of the Royal Mail) causes a lot of problems. Their 'competitors' collect mail, sort it... and then give it to the Royal Mail! Who ships it to the next place, and hands it back to their competitor, who then delivers it. So... how is that removing a monopoly? It isn't, it's simply adding extra potential points of failure.

While obviously a directory enquiries service can't be directly compared to that, I knew what 192 was. All these new directory enquiries services bombard everywhere with advertising to try to get a 'leg up' on their competitors... frankly, I'd rather they put the money into improving the service.

Anyway, I will continue to try to get on that site to delist... if it costs money to do so I will be contacting Citizen's Advice to ask whether it is legal or not, as it didn't cost money to be ex-directory when I sorted out my landline.

8. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

This site should be illegal, it's a breach of privacy.

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

My sentiments exactly, does anyone happen to know if this text costs anything??

EDIT: Having just spoken to Vodafone and discovering that the number in which you have to text back to is 118800.
    This number (or rather the price in which to send to this number) has not been declared with Vodafone so would be charged at no lower than standard rate, but very likely it would be at a premium rate, there is also the possability of this service charging you to recvieve a text msg from them.

EDIT2: Text the letter 'E' to 118800 from the mobile phone you want to be made ex-directory. Standard network charges apply.

So it would look like we have to pay to opt-out..... *most displeased!!

Last edited: 13 Jul 2009
  10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

As soon as it goes live again, I'm delisting.

What a ****ing liberty.

11. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Good, I hope they go down the crapper

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im already off the list :thumb:

13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

So much for civil liberties.... I feel like my ass has been invaded by a barge pole

14. Syphon Filter

I totally agree. I was just saying that was probably the thinking behind the abandonment of the old 192 service in favour of the new 118xxx services.

15. Joe118800

Joe118800 What's a Dremel?

Hello, Joe from 118800.co.uk here.

Just to reassure you that we’ll never actually give out anyone’s personal details. When you search on 118800.co.uk, we’ll send an SMS message to the person you’re looking for, giving them your contacts details and it is then up to you if you wish to call them back or not.

Our service on 118 800 and 118800.co.uk was being tested in June. There are now developments we want to make to improve the service for our customers. But due to the high levels of enquiries we are getting, we are simply not able to complete the technical work required whilst the service is live. We are sorry for inconvenience and will be up and running again as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us on contact@118800.co.uk

Thanks,

Joe
    118800.co.uk

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

Oh.

Did not know that. Will probably still remove my number(s). If I have a payg and a contract mobile both in my name, what will happen when someone searches for me?

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Last edited: 13 Jul 2009
  18. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

especially dangerous as with just your phone number they can sign you up to premium services can't they? so all it takes is one scam artist running one of these 'joke' things to start sending you texts costing £5 a week or something. do it for a month on a couple of thousand unsuspecting victims, make a killing, and bail to spain with your ill-gotten gains.

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I would hope there's protection in place for that kind of thing. I'd imagine someone's thought of it.

Hopefully.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I reckon there's enough server bandwidth to cope with the demands of people wanting to take their number(s) off the database, it's just that 118800 have to have the database online for so many days to earn them enough money/pay back shareholders/other money making scheme. Bleh.

20. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

the person accessing the service never sees your number - if you call 118800, they transfer your call directly to the person (so you never see number) and if you use the website they text the "target" with your number and the "target" decides whether to call back or not. Unless the "target" in the latter scenario calls back without knowing the person and happens to be calling back a scam artist, the "target" number is never shown to the caller until/unless authorised by the target.

I think the system for "accessing" the numbers itself is spot on, however the obtaining of the numbers in the first place and the silent opt-out is absolutely abhorrent and they should be ashamed of themselves. The only thing they can do now to redeem themselves is to completely wipe their database and use the media frenzy to their benefit and raise awareness of the service as a brand new OPT-IN ONLY system!

Tags: Add Tags