1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubisoft: "We have an anti-piracy plan"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Hurm, good luck with the plan :p

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

hmm this is an interesting one. i wonder if they are planning on starting another digital download/steam type service? i hope not. i dont want to have to install a new piece of software for every publisher

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

As long as they don't use the same kind of Malware that EA has resorted to. Something along the lines of Steam would be much more like it.

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

They'll move exclusively to consoles :)

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Steam isn't anti piracy though, you can still pirate singleplayer steam games. So far I think the only effective anti piracy measure is multiplayer/ subscription MMO's (I've had no experience of micro transactions). Sure you can play wow for free on a private server, but without masses of players to play with it's a bit crap :p

7. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I give it 3 days until its cracked, and some say thats generous lol :)

8. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

yep they intend to never release another game :) that would truly be the only way to beat pirates saying we have a way of beating the pirates is just another way of saying we dare you to try and crack this game.

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Funny, that's the first thing that occurred to me, too.

Although I think it likely they'll switch to a 'not quite MMO' architecture a la EA with C&C4.

10. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I bet whatever they decide will be universally hated. I bought Prince of Persia cause it didn't have DRM and it wasn't fun at all, now they're going ahead with anti piracy methods anyway. Lame.

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

What, by making a game people actually want to buy instead of the same tired rehashed formula resprayed and with a new engine?

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

put a minus before the 3.

The day they make a anti piracy system that works is the day that pigs will acquire wings and fly.

13. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Out of interest guys does the DS need its firmware updating ... ever?

I update my PSP but I've never thought about updating the DS before today.

14. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I'd imagine that it'll be the same old story - DRM implemented in an appalling way, FUD and spin doctoring saying "It's all for your own good! Piracy is bad!" and everyone ends up bypassing it whether they own a legal copy or not because it's too much of a PITA to run with it included.

15. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I personally dont care about DRM.

It has never bothered me in the slightest on any games Ive bought, nor has it been an inconvenience at all (I may be lucky in that respect, but the end result is still the same).

I say load it to the hilt with DRM and have the game register a key with the publisher that is then tied to that copy and that owner. The game will check itself at level load points, and if the machine isnt online... tough.

Yes they will lose some business but I believe that the thieves steal much more from them. (You can probably tell that I do not believe that a Pirate has any reasonable argument other than to admit they are stealing)

99% of people buy games to play and base their decision on whether the actual game is any good... they dont care about DRM. People on forums like this care though... (well some do anyway!)

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if they said "We have an anti-piracy plan without using DRM" it'd be big news.

now it's just another attempt at getting attention

17. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I hope he isn't talking about new draconian DRM technology and that they're not going to explore EA's idea of "guessing the last letter of CD key"... :)

But if they're going to fight piracy the way CD projekt does(good prices, plenty of bonuses etc.) then go ahead, I love you ubisoft :D .

100% of pirates don't care about DRM, only honest customers are affected by DRM :p
    But perhaps you're right, most of the people don't care about DRM. But most of the people also don't care about crapware that gets installed on their PC(without their consent or knowledge).

18. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

One sure fire way to beat piracy is to only release games which are so pants they get no publicity. No genuine sales either but it's a sure fire "winner"

19. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Best plan is to effectively price the games so that people will pay for it instead of pirate it. Right? Oh, and make it good of course.

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

what's next ? They will be "going green" like every other damn company trying to seduce new customers ?

I just hope they're intelligent enough to have learned from the mistakes of other publishers

Tags: Add Tags