1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sky to launch 3D TV service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Joy!

They had better not be charging extra for this service, I'm already paying for HDx2, Multiroom and the full set of channels - its extortionate!

Nearly bought My Bloody Valentine 3D from Tescos yesterday ... anyone know if the home version is any good 3D-wise?

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

So this will work the same as the nvidia 3d glasses for gaming?

4. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

doesn't the home version use the magenta glasses? i know there's blood everywhere but its still not the best experience to see red and yellow

5. scrimple3D

scrimple3D What's a Dremel?

It's not the same system as nvidia. They only show one image at a time with the glasses effectively stopping light from reaching the eye that's not supposed to see the displayed image. I guess I could have made that a bit clearer.

The Sky system shows two images at the same time, but each one is polarised differently, which allows simpler glasses to be used.

6. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

i saw the new ice age in 3d on wednesday night with a pair of simple £1 3D glasses, it was very effective and had you leaning back on occasion. it was well done but you felt like your eyes weren't working if you looked at the screen without the glasses :p

p.s. why do kids movies have THE WORST AUDIENCES EVER?!

"This is a funny bit!!! and then after this there's a really good 3d part!" why are you at the cinema?! grrrr!!!!

7. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Something about 3D TV/movies/games comes across as a huge gimmick to me. I mean it's nice for the occasional viewing, but too distracting from what's actually going on because half the time I'll be moving my head about, looking around; so I'm very skeptical about 3D for regular entertainment. Still, I'm open to change my mind about it and that definitely won't be any time soon as long as we have to wear those ridiculous glasses.

Another thing, why can't the industries focus on getting '2D' right - by moving to 48 bit displays and wait for larger broadband penetration to distribute this heavy bandwidth stuff - before we start worrying about 3D!?

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Will it only work on tv's with a certain refresh rate?

9. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

Same thing happens to me, but I think that will only last a short while. Once you get used to having 3D and it stops being a novelty then it'll be just like watching regular TV now.

10. scrimple3D

scrimple3D What's a Dremel?

I don't think refresh rate comes into it..... because the image you see is both images combined. There's no flipping between images for left and right eyes.

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

In my opinion, 3D gaming sounds really cool. After setting up a 5.1 surround sound speaker system and configuring the individual speakers via software for distance an decibel boost, it really made a big difference in the gaming experience with FPS games.

I'm thinking that 3D visuals could also enhance the gaming experience and make the gamer feel like they are more immersed in the environment.

12. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

All you gotta do Lord is watch Tron Legacy trailer on Apple.com/trailers and imagine that in 3D on your surround system. Aint no gimmicks there as someone earlier said, it'll hopefully be awesome, Avatar as well 'should' be pretty special.

Tags: Add Tags