1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Rampage II Gene Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 31 Jul 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Can't finish reading right now, but I quickly noticed this on the first page:

"Six1.5V DDR3 DIMM slots supporting up to 24GB of memory"

I thought X58 mobos had 1.8V slots?

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

DDR = 2.5v JEDEC std.
    DDR2 = 1.8v JEDEC std.
    DDR3 = 1.5v JEDEC std.

Doesn't look a bad board overall.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2009
  4. poldo

poldo What's a Dremel?

I had the chance to play with this board few weeks ago, nice but the northbridge chipset runs a little hot.

5. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I bought this board for a build in April - still sitting on my shelf ;)

If you want a reasonably small, bleeding edge system, thats what this board is for.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2009
  6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'd like to see a graph of "enthusiast" motherboard price vs release date along with BiT value score vs release date.

It seems boards are getting much much more expensive. I remember when an enthusiast board would be ~£100 and no they're pushing nearly double that.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Some of the 'more enthusiast' enthusiast boards are pushing triple that. (EVGA Classified...) :(

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Dang that's a looker. I'm starting to feel like my next mobo will be a mATX sized one. What really is the point of full sized ATX anymore? It's not like most would ever go even SLI, let alone three-way-thing.

9. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

I don't see the point in a full-sized mobo now, never use all the pci slots and don't see myself with an sli system. And the huge cases are a bit much

10. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

I like a big case, but mainly for airflow, so a mATX would still go in my full-tower. It looks like a nice board, but asus refuses to use NB coolers. I'm recommend finding a quiet fan and mounting it to any asus board. I LOVED my ASUS P5ND2-SLI, but the NB ran hot enough to give me a hefty first degree burn. When i called ASUS about the temps they said it was normal. For that reason I pretty much stopped buying ASUS boards. temps are too high for my tastes. My EVGA 780i Cheesecake runs 37C board / 38C cpu / 60C NB and that's where I like to keep it. the 60C took me modding the heatsink and putting a bigger fan on it than EVGA ships, but it's ice cold now.

Looks like a nice board, I've always had rock solid stability with ASUS boards, and they're not nearly as finicky as other brands. I regard ASUS as a slap-and-go board maker. Not sure where i got off topic here, A.D.D. must've kicked in, but yeah - add a fan to that heatsink and it should be a sexy board.

11. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Thanks for clearing that up, but something about DDR3 and 1.8V clicks together IIRC.. Read the rest, and I still prefer the DFI... Great job for ASUS though, as usual. If only X58 would show up in a smaller form factor (somehow) :-|

(I know about the Shuttle X58, but that thing is freaking $640! Case + mobo + PSU + HSF are included, but still, ~4x more than my Shuttle?!?)

12. simonw

simonw What's a Dremel?

For a cheaper alternative, there is also the MSI X58M priced at around £130/$180. Reviews on tech sites have been very favourable.

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

"cheap" "MSI"

Yeah what ever. Personal favors and experiences, I suppose, but I ain't getting another MSI for as long as there are other options.

14. CyrIng

CyrIng SFF

I own this board as the first batch in France , march
    It is used with i7 920-C0 + Noctua C12P + 3 x Corsair 2GB 5-5-4 or 1600Mhz 8-8-8
    + HD4850 fanless GPU etc all enclosed into a Lian Li PC-V351B mATX only case

Every things runs fine but hot !!!
    CPU from 41 to 83•C / IOH 66 to 77•C / ICH 53 to 65•C

Has been stable OCed up more than 133x200 Mhz

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

A great board in all respects however mine died with no explanation 3 months after installation with only 200 hours estimated use... Currently waiting on the outcome and feedback from Asus as to the cause...

16. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

UPDATE

I collected the replacement board sent from Asus today, Care of YoYotech (Please note 4 WEEKS AND 5 DAYS after it was returned! :wallbash:). On opening the box the replacement I had been sent was not a Gene II but a Rampage II Extreme, quite pleased with this I will say :D however I had already replaced the Gene II with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R...

If you want a superb Socket 1366 board the GA-X58A-UD3R is the one to roll with, the others just don't come close!!! :D :thumb: :rock:

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Jun 2010
Tags: Add Tags