1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack: Rage runs slowest on PS3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 31 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A primarily PC developer is having issues with a PS3 title?

Say it ain't so!

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Not "Our coders lag a little behind in getting the performance out of it" then :rolleyes:

4. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

Mr Carmack knows his onions. at least this time we have some detail on why it's difficult to work with (rasteriser etc) i don't necessarily understand it but i trust Mr Carmack not to ********. people will still say he doesn't know what he's doing, which will be a giggle!

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I didn't say that they don't know how to get the performance out of it. I suspect that its just more effort to get it to run as well on the PS3 than its worth.

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

You say that, but then Naughty Dog and Criterion get along just fine (Drakes fortune and Burnout Paradise). I still think it's a mild case of the lazies...

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Joes can you please update your story with the update from the link:

CardJoe likes this.
  8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

"We made the PS3 hard to develop for on purpose" - Sony

9. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

hmmm.... i don't thing the god father of FPS could be called lazy and Carmack is a guy that knows what is on about. the fact the GPU rasteriser is just a little bit slower and the cell is not as easy to splitting it all into jobs on the PS3 as the 360 and PC.

so buy 2010 the game should look good on all platforms with PC being the obvoiusly

10. Goty

Goty Minimodder

QFT.

The computing power is there, they just need to use it.

11. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

As always, this seems to be a misquote by some "journalist" who doesn't know what he's talking about.

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Done - cheers and +rep for the tip.

13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Thanks Joe : )

Sorry I saw this update mentioned on another forum and thought it best to point out here too.

EDIT: Sorry I called you 'Joes' in my original post - don't know why?!

14. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The CPU in the PS3 is potentially better than the Xbox 360. But it is much more difficult to code for. That doesn't mean their coders are bad at their job. Keep in mind they had to learn a whole new language for the PS3, but didn't need to for the 360. They are always going to be better at coding for something they have used for a long time, than something relatively new. I took a few different programming languages in collage and can tell you some are harder than others. Not just to learn, but to write as well.

15. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

+1 sales on PS3 are lower every single month why spend the extra time and money on lower sales.
    from what ive heard PC and 360 port easily. why pay one half of your team to build pc/360 and another half to do PS3. thats exagerated im sure but im just making a point.

the PS3 probably does have more power but without the motivation all the potential in the world is useless

16. munim

munim What's a Dremel?

Coming from the guy that hand coded doom for the iphone, I'll trust what the man says.

17. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

When stories like this appear people often bring out the argument of 'The dev's are either lazy or need to learn how to use the PS3 to its full potential... after all look at whats possible with Killzone 2 etc etc'.

All very well saying that, but it ignores the realities of economics as well as the development process for most developers.

In this case, ID are primarily PC developers who have now ported their latest game and tech platform to the 360 and the PS3. Im sure porting to the 360 was relatively straightforward, but not so with the PS3.

Unless they are willing to spend a lot of time now optimising the PS3 platform to really use all those SPE's to bolster the other weaker aspects of the system, then the PS3 version will lag behind. That's just facts. Games like Killzone 2 etc are optimised in this respect from the outset because they only had to take the PS3 into consideration during development and not more conventional architectures like the PC or 360.

Anyways... the Dev's have said they will spend extra time to make it deliver the magic 60Hz in frame rates, so not to worry.

Its worth bearing in mind though that this extra development effort costs real $$ to support the PS3... a platform which is the smallest of this generation .. with sales that are getting smaller (2009vs2008) which is the opposite of the 360. If that trend continues.. dev's wont bother to spend the extra $$ to optimise for the platform, and it will continue to shrink down.

18. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Anyone who has done their research will know that the 360's GPU is somewhat superior, and that the Cell is definitely not a game oriented CPU.

EDIT:
    Besides, if they still plan on having the PS3 version running at 60fps by launch, all those crying foul that they are lazy are quite obviously wrong. They are one of the developers that has complained about the PS3's architecture but are still willing to go through the extra hassle to make sure the two console version play the same. They could have easily dropped this info, and used it as an excuse to not bother so hard with the PS3 version.

19. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Because there is still a large PS3 user base, a large proportion of which will probably buy this game.

20. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I doubt they had to learn a whole new language, it's a different toolset / api and architecture.

Tags: Add Tags