1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BF2 patch delayed by "office politics"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 10 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Slight extra delay? When did the last patch come out again? 2006?

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I suspect this patch will fix nothing. The game was released unfinished and is still jam packed with problems after the massive 500+MB patch was released. I recently went back to the game after a year off, and was quickly reminded of why I left, its just such an infuriating experience, from the title screen to the load times to the terrible hit detection.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Is it cynical of me to think that the 'office politics' is EA wanting DICE to stop supporting BF2 and go work on something new?

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    No. If it is, I am also a cynical. ;)

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I used the 1.50 beta for a few days after it was released - seems like a big advert for some Falcon game controller to me - the controls section had been taken over with it nearly! Was nice to see widescreen support finally though.

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I gave up BF2 quite a few years ago and haven't looked back since. "Office politics." They couldn't just say "unexpected delays" like everybody else? Such drama queens!

8. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

Could it be it's just your computer and internet connection? I never had any problems like these as long as I played BF2 and still consider it the best online (tactical) shooter experience I've ever had. I just stopped playing it because I had enough of it after having played it almost every night for over a year.

Anyway, having true widescreen support would be something already, and geez, where do you get another big patch for a title from three years ago, after its successor being on the market for quite a while too already? Thumbs up to Dice!

Last edited: 10 Aug 2009
  9. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I have played BF2 since it's release and I also ran a BF2 clan for some time too. I never experienced bad load times or terrible hit detection. There were some bugs upon initial release, and patches were issued to address these problems, but I don't think the game experience was anywhere near as bad as what you are making out. If anything, the game suffered from people going on, getting their arses served to them on a plate by experienced players and then crying cheat. That is typical of any FPS though.

100% agreed. I have had some very good times playing BF2, and still fire it up every now then even now.:thumb:

10. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I thought the 1.5 patch had already been in beta for ages.... having seen servers up and running it, plus seeing it available for download, so Im not sure what they are on about.

EA/DICE have shown the public how to 'screw a franchise' down the toilet many a time, but the way they have handled the Battlefield series is probably their finest example of 'share holder let down' that I can think of.

So perhaps 1.5 will be a precursor to an announcement about BF3... which they recently said was 'Coming on fine'. One of the best tactical shooters of its generation, and EA/DICE lets the franchise rot in hell whilst they piddle around with Heroes/Bad Company/1943 Arcade version.

I also believe that the 1.5 patch will come with a new level as well. Will it be enough to bring a significant number of players back ? Doubtful. If they had supported this game properly from the start with free map packs and regular patches, it would still be vastly popular (and selling) now... but they didnt bother. A crying shame for sure. Yet despite all of EA/DICE's incompetence the game is still good to play.. even now. We played it last night on a Karkand map and had 4 fantastic rounds. Its still the Daddy.

Roll on BF3.

11. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Maybe they will update the punkbuster stuff... it's been preventing me from playing (even though it's installed). Either that or looping sound big freeze of the game (on a i7 920/GTX 280...) I hope they fix that also. I bought it and can't play it, so I can't put my shiny Cyborg evo joystick to good use !

12. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

As I big fan of BF2, I'd hope it the freeing up of the booster packs to make them playable. Or it could be some equaly spectacular or dishartening. Who knows?

We have been waiting for this patch for 2 years. A few days is drop in the ocean. More so when you consider only 3 guys are doing everything apparently in thier own time.

13. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

I started playing this again yesterday and was fairly amused to find that even after three years they still haven't fixed the 'incorrect password' error I used to get playing it when it came out. The server browser is still slow and unhelpful and it often fails to connect.

It's a damn good game but I really wish DICE had finished it. It really lacks polish, even now.

14. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I have been playing with the 1.5BETA3 patch and I am loving it compared to 1.41 patch. They have fixed hitreg, and the loading times have been significantly decreased. So far I have also had no CTDs like I used to. Looks like we might have a winner of a game here after all these years.

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

The loading times probably is just my PC. Its the hit detection which I can't stand. I could go on any server with any ping and the problems is the same. An opposition player could be stood still just a few feet in front of me, and no matter how i fire my gun most shots will simply miss. Ive emptied whole magazines firing at people only to miss. I can take having my arse handed to me on a plate by people who are more skilled, so long as I feel the game isn't robbing me of an even playing field.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^No joke, i remember dumping a 100 round Beta C mag from an MG36 into someone's backside from 20 meters in BF2SF last year with perfectly good pings. NOT A SINGLE HIT.

And yes the load times are ridiculous, especially if you dare change any of the settings because then it'll rebuild the whole damn game the next time you load a map.

17. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Try wearing glasses:D Just kidding. My remark about the sore losers wasn't directed at you, it was a general remark that there are alot of sore losers in any FPS. I haven't experienced any problem with the hit detection any more than in most other FPS's. I enjoy playing most of the classes, and the only trouble I have hitting anyone is with the damned bunny hoppers:D I like the fact that your stance will affect your accuracy in BF2, and using the different stances does have a dramatic effect, as it should do. Have you tried practicing using the crouch and prone positions, and if so did it make any difference?

The load times have never been an issue for me, except when changing gfx settings, but this is something I only do once. Once they are set, I don't keep going back and changing because I don't need to.

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Unless the game decides to reset them for no apparent reason.

19. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Office politics? At EA? I"m shocked, SHOCKED do you hear!

20. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Never experienced that. The only time I have had to reset the gfx settings is when I have done a re-install after an OS re-install, and I think I had to do it once after a patch install too. That's why I have played BF2 for so long, because I have had very little trouble with it. I may be one of the lucky ones maybe?

Tags: Add Tags