1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Command and Conquer 4 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Aug 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

consolified much?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not hugely. The version we saw ran on PC and, as far as I know, a console version hasn't been announced.

4. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

you hear that term alot, "more accessible". shame too. i like specific games for specific tastes.

re-spawn, in an RTS is laughable. a game simulating war and tactics that you cant die in.
    MCV drops on enemy base? why not, you get another one, and i imagine the damage is pretty good.

EA should make wooden block toys, not computer games.

5. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

I went of C&C when generals came out. Im not sure why it just seemed a bit to fast. I like to sit back and think about what im doing. Not get base rushed within 2 minutes of starting.

I like the look of the graphics, but i have my severe doubts if they can pull off another C&C id actually buy.

Heres hoping supreme commander 2 isnt to far of....mmmmm SPIDERS!!!!

PS...if they console-a-fie it they deserve to fail. Its starting to piss me off ...everything has to be more dumbed down, more accessible, more mass market. i want to have to read the manual to know how it works. Those are the sort of games that have depth and re playability, not to mention rewards for spending time playing it.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

feels like they've steal some ideas from Supreme Commander in the new MCV and its firepower.

also, it seems unfair to the winning player: pushed the whole force to the enemy base, destroyed it and only seconds later, getting all his force destroyed because the other player respowned with a MCV out of the sky.

im a fan of old CnC because the lack of hero units. now, with upgradable MCV, im not so sure, sounds more like a SupCom copy that exists in a much smaller scale.

7. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

So the worst idea in gaming, namely removing the challenge of a game has made it to RTS. Guess the only stronghold of actual gaming left is in the Indie market.

8. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Totally agree.

Perhaps they are expecting the games to last 2 minutes and so will include the respawn to extend it, rather than making it more challenging in the first place.

I'll stick to my C&C games up to RA2, TA & SupCom thanks. Plus you can play them on a laptop when you are away from internet access.

9. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I'll reserve judgements at this early stage. This has however given me the bug to go and play the original again. I feel a C&C marathon in the offing.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

DoW2 is awesome and this shares many features with DoW2, although that re-spawning MCV does sound a little dodgy, basically you want lose, what will be the point of on-line play.

11. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

did they just say Joe Kucan wont be playing kane?
    i think they just announced a C&C game i wont be buying

12. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Every single time I see "more accessable" with regards to a game it tends to be overtly simplified, and then end up coming out on consoles a while later.

Not that console games are bad, but RTS is really the realm of the PC to be honest, and I rather like how C&C has been, this new version I am wary of, but time will tell.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I think you give EA far too much credit. More than likely they'll leave the plot with more holes than a fat ladies' fishnet stockings.

That'll give them the ability to go back and make C&C5 when they look through their IP catalogue in five years and decide they haven't milked everything enough yet.

Thing is... aside from the 'more accessible' bit, this sounds and looks fairly decent. But I thought the same of Red Alert 3 when reading the Bit-Tech previews... yet I thought RA3 itself was a steaming pile of dog faeces. I will acknowledge that that will not be everyone's opinion, but I'm inherently wary of EA after the modern C&C incarnations.

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i dunno it seems silly to me, like C&C Junior or something. totally agree with the comments on here that everything is becoming more homogenised and mass appeal based.

dont think i'll be bothering

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I will still be picking myself up a copy, and if it comes in a uber uber special shiney case, will get that too.

Sam

16. DaMightyMouse

DaMightyMouse What's a Dremel?

Constant connection required, just ruled out most of the market here, bandwidth isn't cheap and fast in South Africa ... oh well this one is miss :(

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

What the hell?

Honestly, just what the hell?

18. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I think the three different classes should work fine. I imagine they will function a lot like the three different generals on each faction in Generals: Zero Hour. That was brilliant (especially with the Mooman mod). It should allow players to play to their strengths and preferred style.

I agree, though, that the respawning sounds a bit silly. I presume that the "kills" are talleyed to confirm a victor at the end of a match, like in an FPS deathmatch. That will surely mean that it's normal to defeat an army in a matter of minutes, or that matches will last hours.

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I just wished it was 1995 again....

nope ain't happening :(

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Cruel as it sounds, I really doubt that EA is that bothered about the not-EU, not-US markets for this game...

Tags: Add Tags