1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Five LGA1156 coolers tested on Lynnfield

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 13 Aug 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Holy mother of nice scores :) Good job, good rant, loving it! It sure is stupid to have three different cooler mountings for the same CPU manufacturer at the same time. Though that's not the only thing Intel has done just to take a piss at the customers, is it...

3. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

on the last page it says you used a multimeter to take temperature readings from the fan....

4. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Our multimeter has a thermal probe attachment, as do most.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Disappointing.

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I was quite interested about the new LGA1136 socket you mention on the last page :p

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Or maybe wait for a decent cooler to be released before wasting your money! :thumb:

8. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

haha ok cool, it didn't quite register with me at first. my multimeter doesnt have a thermal function :/

9. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Please define "heavily overclocked", under EU law making forum members wait for OC numbers is actually illegal, punishable by being forced to watch Hannah Montana videos in a 24 hr loop.

10. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

Are there many other LGA 1156 coolers in the pipeline, in particular any that look promising?

Last edited: 13 Aug 2009
  11. demanufacture

demanufacture What's a Dremel?

Nice review, but I put my question marks on the comments.
    How can you judge wether those coolers perform good if you have no previous results to compare?
    If you look at other reviews of the Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme you see that it goes on par or even beats the TRUE.
    Cant you make a retest with those coolers compared with the TRUE or Noctua NH-U12P?

12. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Ha! Too many sockets, even I got confused. It's fixed, thanks for flagging it!

13. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

There are some details on the last page - please read that :)

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Previous results? It's an entirely new socket. By simply assessing the deltaT and noise we can judge how good a cooler is. Cooling alone isn't the only factor and the Lynnfield core is relatively similar to the Core i7 LGA1366 CPUs so we have a general idea of how a good or bad cooler performs.

The CNPS certainly does not beat the TRUE in our experience on other sockets. There's no chance considering the quality of its base manufacture. I cannot speak for what other sites test with - read their test setup data.

We would have included the TRUE and Noctua, but, as we said in the text, they don't include the mounting brackets for LGA1156 yet.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can't wait for the bolt through kit from Thermalright.

does Corsair H50 support this socket? anyone know if they'll release a mounting kit for this socket?

16. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

Thats why I'm glad my X58 board has both 1366 ans 775 mounting holes.

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

They haven't quite decided yet. Personally I'm pretty sure they'll provide mounting kit for 1156 as well, and by the looks of things, they definitely should (it's a nice cooler). Dunno whether they'll provide it in box, though...

18. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Just seen a couple more board previews - ASRock P55 Deluxe and EVGA P55 (E657) Cheesecake and both have socket 775 mounting holes slightly offset from the 1156 mounting points. It'd be interesting to see how many other manufacturers decide to do the same allowing us to reuse our favourite heatsinks and/or waterblocks.

PS: If I was ever going to buy a motherboard on looks alone that that EVGA beastie would be top of the list - $diety it's beautiful!

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Screw YOU, Bindi!
    All black is boring... my ass! :p

Take a look at the EVGA P55 132-LF-E657:

[​IMG]

20. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

hmm is it just me or are those dT's massive?
    I know you have OC'ed the CPU to a secrete speed, but a dT of 74C (assuming you don't work in a freezer) puts it very close to 100C :jawdrop: even the best cooler is probably only managing to keep the CPU at ~80C which in itself seem high to me.
    Would be nice to see how the standard cooler that comes with the CPU performs.. or does it give up and die at the OC you are running it at? Since the dT gives us an idea of what temp the CPU runs at.. any hints at what it runs at at stock speed?

Tags: Add Tags