1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Snow Leopard Arrives on 28th August

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Aug 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Mac = *yawn*

3. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

Pre-ordered.

Interested in OpenCL and speed increases for apps.

4. fr3d

fr3d What's a Dremel?

if Apple farted, the whole press industry would rave about what it smelt like.

pfft, i think i'd rather wait a few months for 7 tbh

5. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Same here Harveypooka. Pre-ordered mine last night. Will be a welcome upgrade seeing as I just upped my memory in my box.

6. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Windows = *growl*

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I may as well say it, as no doubt someone else will:

So they're basically charging £25 for a speed-increasing service pack?

8. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Im not sure a one line summary calling Snow Leopard a 'speed increasing service pack' does the release justice to be honest.

Its the equivalent of saying Windows 7 is a 'Bug fixed version of Vista' without elaborating.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

for more details..

£25 is reasonable though (for once from Apple) for performance users.. Most people will not see that much difference. If I had a laptop though I would definitely buy it.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

that's what i thought. Snow leopard feels like Vista's SP1 and 2 together.

whereas win7 feels like Vista SP11 with an awesome task bar. (but a task bar that's similar to Mac's dock)

i will be installing OSX 10.5.7 in my netbook, and then wait for a while before considering snowleo. people say Microsoft bring out buggy software, Apple needed 6 releases of Leopard to get it right! (quoted from my mac fanboy friend, who complained about Leopard's crash on the first 2 releases)

10. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

Its not so much the OS that bugs me with Apple, I really get annoyed by the time that it takes to sort out a problem with the hardware... my uncle dropped his MacBook last month, and because I know how to work with MS based PCs, he asked me to fix his Macbook, because he remembers how long Apple took to fix it before...

11. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I wold consider buying this to make a potential hackinstosh install semi-legal.

12. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

There's a bit of dispute over whether EULAs are actually legally binding, there's no precedent for something such as a Hackintosh install being illegal.

13. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I'll be getting a copy for Mine & MrsGOO's Macbooks... But I won't be able to update the PPC based PowerMac Server - Snow is Intel only - So it's stuck at 10.5.

Mind you, it gives me an excuse to give to MrsGOO that we really need a new intel based MacMini... :)

14. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

To make it even semi legal (questionable initself), you'd need to own a copy of 10.5 first. Snow is an update only, not a full install disk.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL

To get a full install, you'd need the Box Set

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC209Z/A

Which is £129, but for that you get Snow, iLife 09 & iWork 09 - which isn't a bad deal considering that iLife and iWork are both £69 each if bought singlely

15. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

By releasing Snow Leopard so far ahead of Windows 7 are Apple not at risk of having Microsoft steal their thunder on October 22nd?
    Sure, the Apple fanboys will still be raving about Snow Leopard by then, but the rest of the world will have forgotten about it once Windows 7 hits the shelves.

I think Bauul's analogy of Snow Leopard as a paid-for service pack still stands, despite comparisons to Windows 7 vs Vista.

The average mac user was expected to use Mac OS X to be in any way up to date or competitive, whereas many windows users were quite content (and able) to stick with XP during the Vista era.

For those of us who skipped Vista (and arguably didn't get left behind for doing so) and who are now moving from XP to 7, it's a hell of a lot more than a service pack.
    I don't think the same can be said for someone going from any previous version of Mac OS X to Snow Leopard.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2009
  16. Carcharodon

Carcharodon What's a Dremel?

OK, SL maybe little more than a glorified service pack, but at least Apple are being up front about the fact and not trying to con people into buying the same OS twice, which is more than can be said about MS.

That’s not to say Win 7 is not a big improvement over Vista, I’ve been running both the Beta and RC versions, but there’s not really enough there imo to justify Win 7 being called a brand new OS, more like a couple of service packs rolled into one.

The reality is Apple are always likely to be one step ahead of MS, who are hamstrung by needing to create an everyman OS, While Apples controlled sand box approach allows them to stay one step ahead of the game, leaving them as the innovators and MS as the followers. And before people start, I’m not some Apple fan boy, I own both a PC and Mac and I certainly appreciate my PC for gaming and the freedom of choice it offers me, but in-terms of the OS, easy of use and reliability I’d pick my Mac every time.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Really? SP2 for XP was a pretty big change, but mostly they're as incrimental as Apple OSX updates such as Snow Leapord. Something like the brand new Win7 task bar is far too large a change to be considered just a service pack.

I think we've been spoiled by the gigantic XP to Vista change. Remember Win 95 -> Win 98 -> Win 98 SE -> Win ME? Four different OSs. Microsoft sort of go in waves of Operating Systems: The early windows, then a big change to Win95/98/ME, then a big change to Win2000/XP, then a big change to Vista/Win7. So, I think it's unfair to say Win7 isn't worth being called a new OS.

18. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Mmm. Not really no. Win7 is giving us a GUI that Apple gave Mac users ages ago ... PC users are catching up is all. Don't forget Snow leopard is giving all Mac users an upgrade to 64bit as standard. Don't forget it costs £25. Don't forget Vista.

OSX in its current form is 32bit everything. Apple are upgrading their Mac users to 64bit. Something MS would charge us minimum of £60 for.

Yes, because Vista was such an abomination of an operating system some of us had no choice if we wanted a stable operating system.

Love the way you word this bit. Visually you are right. But thats where it ends.

GG.

19. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Vista and 7 may bear some aesthetic similiarities to OS X's sleek interface, but that's where it ends - Thankfully.

If you want to just believe the mass opinion that was propagated by countless thousands who never actually used the OS for any reasonable length of time, sure.

Way to get needlessly holier-than-thou, confrontational and defensive about your favourite OS there, champ - It really works well to dispel the idea that Mac users are snobs... Oh wait.

It kind of saps the drive to argue so I'll step out here, gladly lump you in with the rest of the evangelicals and go back to enjoying my choice of Windows 7, Linux or OSX without prejudice on my systems. :thumb:

20. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I aint a Mac and I aint a PC, I'm a tech head. See, I call myself myself a tech-head because I am into everything. Anything new, everything fast, anything that is new tech I'll be looking at it, prodding it, poking it, mostly enjoying it.

So, you pidgeon hole me where ever sweetheart. I'll also retire now to enjoy all my Apple products, my PCs, my laptops, my OSX, my Win7 OS's, my XP, my Vista, my Linux distro, you name it I'm enjoying it for what it is. It's evolution, it's where we've been and where we're going, it's the future. And yeh I may be back to defend the OSX update because lets face it, its better coming from someone who is actually USING the tech than someone who just THINKS about the tech.

Let this PC versus Mac BS rest already. If you notice this is just another Apple thread gate crashed by the Mac haters. So EXCUSE ME for jumping in to defend Snow Leopard from unnecessary posts by people never likely to even see the update to give an educated statement but there you go.

Tags: Add Tags