1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Make your own Dvorak keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 Sep 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

I have always been tempted to try this

when my 955 arrives i may give it a spin

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Apparently the Dvorak keyboard does increase typing speed, but we're talking about professional typists who do hundreds of words a minute. For Joe Blogs who uses no more than four fingers and a typing speed of 50 words a minute, it makes little difference, and you'll waste more time retraining yourself to use the new layout than you'd ever gain in typing speeds.

That said, it is a more logical layout, and especially if you suffer from RSI and the such like it's apparently a god-send, as typing on it is far more natural than the QWERTY keyboard. As the article points out, the keyboard is built around the natural movement of drumming your fingers on the table (little finger through to index finger), which is apparently one of the least strenous things you can do with your hands.

4. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Really good article, I am now going off to find an old keyboard and try ths out!

5. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I tried to get using this at work with a spare keyboard. I didnt stick at it to get my typing up to full speed but got fairly reasonable. I definatly noticed I didnt move my hands around half as much which was a benefit in my quest to be more and more lazy :)

Ultimatly I failed based on a tradeoff bewteen having a Dvorak keyboard on my desk in front of my laptop or having the additional desk space.

You will need to stick at it for a fairly long time and force yourself not to use a QWERTY for things that need typing up fast.

6. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

I've been tempted for years, but the idea of being pwned on 99.999% of any other keyboard in the world kinda puts me off. Plus the fear of having to untrain my brain from the last 25 years of typing - that's a lot of muscle memory!

I wonder if there's any benefit to DVORAK on stuff like iPhone :)

7. DiegoAAC

DiegoAAC What's a Dremel?

So WASD will become <AOE, I'll never remember that

8. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

just use arrow keys

9. timbro

timbro What's a Dremel?

this is all hearsay

10. Measter

Measter What's a Dremel?

I switched to Dvorak several years ago, and a couple years later, switched to right handed Dvorak, I can still type on Qwerty well enough, though it does take me a couple minutes to get up to speed again after not using it for a long time.

11. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

apparently colemak is better for my tyoping style after doing a little research into the topic

12. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

If only I wasn't using a Danish keyboard. :p

13. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

can somebody link me to a DOVARK learning site? I just modded out my el-cheapo keyboard and its really hard to re-learn touch typing.

14. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

(Being too lazy, and a couple glasses of wine into 5:30am here to look it up), Is there a way to have one usb keyboard as QWERTY, and one as DOVARK at the same time?

15. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I've been using qwerty keyboards for nearly 2 decades now. I've a typing speed in and around the hundred words a minute. Sure in theory DVORAK may be quicker, but 20 years of muscle memory is hard to break.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I never really learned to touch type in the traditional sense, it was more a case of "learning" the QWERTY layout over time. I've managed to achieve a fairly decent typing speed, but it's still not "proper" typing.

Switching to DVORAK now would involve re-learning 23 years worth of experience on QWERTY - sounds daunting, frankly! :)

17. kešjlodna

kešjlodna What's a Dremel?

Is there any way one could add some letters to Dvorak? I need letters Č芚Žž
    I can't writte in slovene with out them. I can't even sign myself.

Tags: Add Tags