1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Lynnfield Core i5-750 & Core i7-860, i7-870

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Sep 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Intel Core i5 and Core i7 Lynnfield review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/08/intel-core-i5-and-i7-lynnfield-cpu-review/1

The original Bloomfield Core i7s were a huge leap forward, providing masses of performance, both out of the box and when overclocked. Ten months on, Intel has finally released the range of CPUs to fill the gap between Core 2 and Core i7 with the new Lynnfield-core CPUs.

Intel Lynnfield: Details and Architecture

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/09/08/intel-lynnfield-details-and-architecture/1

An in-depth analysis of what the new Lynnfield architecture of LGA1156 Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs is, what new things it brings and where it fits in Intel's CPU line-up. Read on to see what's new, what's great, and what's not!

:thumb:

2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Finally! I've been waiting for this day for sooooo long

I will probably be getting the Evga P55 SLI and a I7 860 to pait with my GTS 250(Waiting for Geforce 300) and my WD 1tb drive for a nice little gaming/multimedia rig.
    This E6300(@2.8ghz) and 680i setup now just isn't cutting it anymore. (Will make a great secondary system though)

3. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

In the CPC benchmarks and multi tasking tests you call the i5-750 a i7 -750.

fixed, thanks

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

So what's the verdict i5 750 versus Phenom II 955BE? They look fairly evenly matched.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

So according to Intel, Hyper-threading is a more important distinction between chips that on-die memory controllers and inter-component communication?
    Fail.

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Think of how it looks to the basic end user though.
    This set can use 8 threads, and the other set can only use 4.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

The i5-750 is faster in most scenarios and once you factor in overclocking and power consumption, it's playing a different ball game. The problem is that, currently, the platform is too expensive - the 750 really needs to be paired with a £100-110 motherboard, not a £135 motherboard, never mind a £185 motherboard. If you're paying those prices, you may as well jump into the ring with an i7-920 - it's about £15 more [than the i5-750/P55-GD65 combo] with a cheap 1366 board and 3GB of RAM, £85 with a better 1366 board and 6GB of RAM.

The cheaper boards are coming and we have a couple in the labs (more expected today), but they're very late out of the gate and certainly not in time for us to make any solid conclusion about them ahead of today. The i5-750 could become the CPU to have if the lower-cost boards are good, but until the 920 disappears, we don't see any value at all in the i7-860 and i7-870 chips.

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

So according to Intel, Hyper-threading is a more important distinction between chips that on-die memory controllers and inter-component communication?
    Fail.

And from _just_ the gaming benches, even the E8600 seems to snap at the heels of the i5 750 (it's nearest price competitor). Good to see the Wolfies haven't lost their bite just yet.

EDIT: The i5-750 has been mis-labeled as an i7 many times all over the review. Just a heads up.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's not any more... :worried:

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Bindi, why didn't you tell me! the reason my turbo mode wasn't working was because C-state is set to disabled by default.

ok, now my turbo mode fully works :D

what cooler did you guys use to achieve 4.2Ghz overclock on i5 750?

what is very strange is with Crysis and X3 benchmarks, when HT is enabled, minimal FPS went down. so is it better to simply use i5 750 as a gaming platform compared to i7 860?

11. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

i'll be going with 955BE when Direcxt11 ATi cards are availble or stretch to Core i7 920, I don't think Lynnfield will bring on an AMD price cut as I'd hoped.

12. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Quote Bit-tech Intel Lynnfield Architecture:
    We asked Intel what exactly made the PCI-E connections of P55 'compliant' with the Generation 2 specification, but have yet to receive a precise response. Even if Intel is classing it as 'working with Gen 2 devices', PCI Express is designed to be backward compatible, so we can just as easily say that the PCI-E lanes of P55 are actually PCI-E 1.1 connections.

The gaming benchmarks are missing a most important factor; SLI / Crossfire. Playing Crysis (an old game) on a bigger screen needs more than one graphic. (as you proved yourself in one of the reviews).
    Try to give a real in depth perspective, with dual SLI GeForce 295. (not speaking about the new 5870X2 from Ati). This will give a real comparison to the i920.

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Good to know I made the right decision 9 months ago. :D

I'm genuinely suprised by how low you rate the new high-end Lynnfield's, but at their current price point it makes sense. Intel will need to cut their prices to make them competitive. Having said that, it seems much more likely (due to lack of competition from AMD) that they'll just kill the i7 920 so they have no internal competition and make the maximum possible profit.

14. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

NDA I assume.

15. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

This. Anandtech says multi-GPU scaling on Lynnfield sucks compared to Nehalem, particularly with high-bandwidth cards (they used dual 4870X2s, and in one case there was a ~40% scaling difference between Lynnfield and Nehalem). I'd love to see you confirm/deny that.

Also, have you tried an i7 800-series on Windows 7? It supposedly has much better thread management than Vista, which might improve the Hyper-Threading performance...

- Diosjenin -

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes?

We have a specific gaming performance article ready to roll in due course :thumb: as well as an overclocking guide and memory performance guide.

We didnt use GTX 295s, just GTX 260s and 4870 1GB at 1680x1050, but that shows a difference.

17. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Although the i5 750 looks pretty impressive. What sticks out here like a sore thumb is that an overclocked Q6600 is pretty evenly matched to AMDs star Phenom II 955. That is hilarious, what the hell have AMD got to do to match the i5 as the i7 is just too far ahead.

Pull that thumb out your 4$$ AMD and give your fanboys something to even enter the conversation with!!!!!

18. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

"In contrast, the fully-fledged LGA1366 Core i7-920 is cheaper than both of the new Lynnfield Core i7 CPUs. With LGA1156 and dual-channel DDR3 memory comparable in price to LGA1366 and triple-channel kits, we don't see the point in opting for an LGA1156 Core i7 CPU at all. If you're too lazy or scared to overclock, the Core i7-860 is faster thanks to Turbo Boost (rev 2), but the Core i7-920 is far faster when manually overclocked."

"With that in mind, even if you like the look of the Core i5-750, you really should decide whether you can stretch to an i7-920 as things currently stand, just to make sure you're getting a good deal. Either way, our advice is to go out and buy a Core i7-920 before Intel realises its mistake and discontinues it."

erm... did you read the review?

19. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

Well that has made things even more confusing. I think if I can get the MSI deal I may go with LGA1156 if not I may just save up for a couple of months and get the LGA1366. I just hope Intel don't discontinue the i7 920 in the mean time!

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would recommend buy a 920 asap, I doubt you'll see many 920s in 2010.

Tags: Add Tags