1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Batman: Arkham Asylum PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Sep 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

From the demo alone it seems worth it, cannot wait to pick up my copy on Friday. Ok no physic enhancements for me unless I pick up a standalone card, but meh. The demo is fun, the game looks fun and I'm a huge fan of Batman.

€35 well spent in my opinion.

3. Hg

Hg The game known as life

I too cant wait to get my copy of the game on friday, shame i will be away this weekend:(
    I played the PC demo with everything maxed and Physx set to high and it really does look and play better then those console versions.
    I will also be able to try the Stereoscopic 3D with the tryout glasses that were bundled with the the Nvidia GFX card pack.

4. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

I loved clocking the game on my m8's X-Box. Your review of it was delightfully thorough. I'm looking forward to playing it on my PC when I get a hold of it :D

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's going to be fantastic.

im interested that the article said a single card is able to handle PhysX at high, what card did you use? my gtx260-216 struggled a bit in the final large room of the demo.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

280GTX - there were a few tiny chugs at some points, but it was bearable and probably because the code we were using wasn't entirely final yet.

If you're worried about it, it's fairly easy to pick up a second Nvidia card on the cheap as a PPU.

8. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Haha that vid was great ! never seen robot chicken before - will probably buy the dvd when i go and get Batman.

9. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

usch, the review makes me want to get the game, but I'm running an OC'd 9800gtx and have no plans on upgrading until next year. Or at least 4qtr this year. Looks like I'll be on MED settings?

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Good review guys, going to get it when i get paid.

Quick question, given my old (god it is old isn't it) 8800gts (320mb) what would i need to do to get the funky physics. I really don't have the cash to upgrade but i'm curious.

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Best thing to do is try it, it doesn't seem that hard on a system, my old system has no issues with playback here, seemed to run fine on the 8800GTSLI at 1080p I do have the Physx P100 though.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you have doubts for performance before you buy then you could try the demo, that has the fancy PhysX shizzle too.

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Yeah i played the demo, with the physics on anything but off it crashed to desktop. My girl is getting quite old.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm starting to feel the need for a graphics update too - I've skirted the issue by going from a big CRT that did 1920*1440 to a crappy LCD that only does 1680*1050... Even so I noticed pretty poor performance in HL2:Ep2 with decent amounts of AA and AF.

15. Carcharodon

Carcharodon What's a Dremel?

Game of the year so far for me. Interesting you mention the Chronicles of Riddick, because I thought this was one element missing from the stealth game-play - the lack of being able to use the darkness Riddick style - after all, isn’t that what Batman’s all about? Hiding in the shadows.

Also, just like to ask the reviewer what he thought of the boss battles? To me this is the games biggest flaw. After you’ve faced Bane you better get use to it, because quite a few of the reming boss battles follow the same pattern. Then there’s the duel boss battles involving the Joker, which certainly tread a thin line between the adrenaline fueled addiction of - I’m going to beat you even if it takes me until 3 in the morning, chuck a sickie from work the next day mentality, to, - I’m going to throw this f...ing controller through the f...ing window in a minute frustration, when the goon with the gun puts payed to your efforts one grapple away from the Jokers demise.

Anyway, hugely ambitious sequel please Rocksteady, with GTA like Gotham city to play around in. Imagine the fun, thrashing the Bat-mobile through the streets or taking to the sky in the Bat-wing; unlikely of course, but I can dream never the less.

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Think I'll give the demo a shot first - not sure how my 9600 would handle the whizzy PhysX stuff!

17. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Love this game on the 360, unfortunately it is a bit short, but the combat challenges do add a bit of length to the game.

18. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

When i first heard about the demo i thought it was going to be rubbish, i mean c'mon Batman. But i was very surprised that it was really good and i preordered the game. Good job Rocksteady.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Props for an honest opinion. I would buy this, but I'm still a bit short on the cash.

20. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Thanks, been waiting for this review. Just ordered off Amazon! :rock:

Tags: Add Tags