1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 Slim shortages possible

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

"It's not surprising that the PlayStation 3 Slim is doing so well compared to the previous version - the new model is both thinner and less power hungry, and comes packaged with a decent 120GB hard drive on top of the usual features."

It's not just that... But the price... The price is the biggest reason... PS3 was too expensive, now it's more accessible...

3. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Picked mine up on launch day, after realising that blockbuster were going to pay me a pretty penny for my "160Gb" model, which was actually a 40Gb.. they never even booted it up to check, so i win on that front. (Yes, i know its cruel and heartless and technically wrong, but i was willing to take the hit if they checked it).

Removed the 120Gb Drive, and upgraded it to 500Gb, mainly because its always fun to tweak things away from stock, but mainly for the increased cache and 7200RPM speed, which is noticeable in loading times.

Smaller, less bulky, nice power drop when streaming media (xvid/x264) over a network, and altogether slightly quietier, not that the PS3 Phat was loud to start with.

* Note - if you intend to change the HDD on the slim, make sure you download the latest firmware first. The Slim doesnt seem to have flash memory like the Phat does. As in, changing HDDs on a Phat doesnt loose the OS like it does on a Slim.

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

yep its all down to price imo, i wonder how many of those sales where to people who already own a 360 or a wii? a fair proportion i'd imagine

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

i see the Sony marketing department are up to their old tricks....

Christmas coming, lets 'leak' info that alludes to shortages, parents panic, rush out and buy console...

Job done....suckers, suckered.

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

and dont forget the wii shortages........ again :)

7. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

Traded in my 3 broken 360's (2 red rings and one dvd drive) As they didn't red ring until after the warranty expired and MS won't replace/fix a dvd drive. I did call as each did broke and was told no each time.
    So I traded in the broken units, and will never buy a MS console again. :(

You can't just clone the original and expand the partition? I would like to hear more on how to do it, as I will be getting my PS3 slim shortly, and would like to change it to the F1 Samsung drive.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

is that not a 3.5" drive?

9. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

personally, price was the biggest issue. it's not like i didn't have the money before, i had spent many hundreds more before deciding to get the ps3. i just didn't think the console was worth 400, 500 or let alone 600 dollars. 300 seems like a fitting price. plus, by the time i got my ps3 this september, there's a very nice catalogue of games already, and all the XMB and other services are very polished. so, whereas my friends who bought the ps3 in the beginning had a less satisfactory experience due to lack of games, software that was limited (e.g. couldn't even do background downloads), my experience was awesome from the very beginning. i'll probably use this strategy for ps4 too, wait 2-3 years from the day they make it available and then buy it, cheaper and with better catalogue and functions.

10. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

That's weird, my mates machine that he bought on launch the other day red ringed and M$ are fixing it as if it were under warranty still. I get the impression that the warranty for red ring failures is indefinite.

11. capmoq

capmoq What's a Dremel?

The article is talking about the sales of a PS3 Slim but there is still the old model's pic. xD

12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

It is, but the connector is standard and you can get adaptor cables so the HDD would be external.

Tags: Add Tags