1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News No Modern Warfare 2 demo or beta

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I wish you could buy multiplayer only versions of Call of Duty, mainly because the single player is usually pretty rubbish.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Oh I dunno, I've got a feeling I know somebody who knows somebody that has a demo...a full scale demo that is.

Sure, forfeit the demo, blame the pirates, your pricing has nothing to do with it :D

4. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

I agree. Not that I didn't like COD4 SP, but I do not like SP, but I just love MP. They should really just split those two and have lower price for each.

5. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Don't they want to sell this game??

First a prohibitively high price, and now, no demo... I guess that means that it will be summer 2010 before I get a copy; once I've seen lots of reviews and gameplay clips, and once the price has dropped to an acceptable level...

6. sear

sear Guest

Not really surprising. Why bother coming out with a demo? It's more work, not to mention it would require approval from Microsoft - the demo would probably come out after the game has been released, knowing how long that takes, which, while not useless, certainly would lessen its impact. Activision knows everyone who wants the game is going to buy it at some point anyway - the online component is compelling enough that you can't just borrow it from a friend and play for a day or two like with most single-player-focused titles.

7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

like not having a demo is gonna stop sales. this game will sell like mad even with the higher price and no demo.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

am i the only one who is genuinly not interested in the lol-hype that is surrounding this game?

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I await a plethora of news stories showing Activision blaming piracy for the poor sales of this game......

Seriously how hard is it for them to relase a demo? They make it sound like they would have to build it from scratch.

The irony here is that we have a game developers moaning about piracy yet doing everything in their power to indirectly aid piracy (increased price, no demo (beta etc), excessive DRM, buggy pathetic console ports... I could go on...)

10. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

I dont enjoy multi-plauyer that much, too many cheesers, whiners, cheaters, too repetitive, I enjoy story characters, thus this is a no buy, as the SP is short and underwhelming, plus, same old gameplay.

No demo, why would they? everyone with a 360 will have no issue forking over 80 bucks to play this yearly update to COD which plays identical to last years verison.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You are not the only one.

12. Lepermessiah

On another note, people exaggerate the impact demos have, demos are too short to get a feel if youll like a game ot not, and performance often changes drastically after launch with drivers, patches. Take a game like the withcer for instancem, a great story characters, no demo is enough to know how the game will be, all this whining about demos is just anotehr over reaction by the gamer masses IMO. gme often get better and change direction the longer you play, demos do very little.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm looking forward to MW2, but not having a demo and making it pricey is a pretty stupid idea imo.

They're just cashing in on MW1, so unless it's awesome there's gonna be hell to pay.

14. Lepermessiah

No, I lol, at most hype for Triple AAA multi-platform games these days, reviews, hype aere so bogus now it is not funny, look at GTa 4, 10/10 across the board, lmao, no way. Gaming journalism is at an all-time low. This game in particular is over board with its hype, considering how decidely average the games really are.

15. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Doesn't rule out a demo when the game has been released, so hopefully people will still be able to try before buying

16. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

I dont understand about the pricing scheme - I have my copy for pc on pre-order with amazon for £29.99

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Not really. I have bought games after trying and enjoying the demos.
    Some I buy immediately (Left 4 Dead, World of Goo, etc), others I buy after some months (Dirt, TimeShift, etc).
    There are also games that I lose interest after trying the demo (Zeno Clash, Batman Arkham Asylum, etc).

So, MW2 having no demo means I will probably buy it only when the price drops, if the game gets good gamers reviews.

PS:
    Same. The game costs the usual price.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2009
  18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its just going to be like the first one with different maps, why do you need a demo?

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Who decided they're average? You?

For all its bad points, the first MW was fun, and it was fun for a long time going by the amount off time I put into it. There's not a lot of games I can say that about.

I eventually got bored of the first one though, so if this one offers more of the same with a similar level of replayability then it will be well worth my £30.

I don't pay attention to hype, nor should anyone with enough sense. It just means more disappointment when you read the review and it turns out to be crap. However, it's inevitable all the big games are gong to get hyped up, and it's usually not without reason.

20. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I don't mind that there's no demo, but saying that the team is focusing on polish right up to release is just a lie... they have to finalise, go gold, start printing, ship to retailers. There's plenty of time in their that could be used on a demo, which is going to be devoted to making dlc, because dlc makes money and demos don't.

I wish these big companies wouldn't lie. I have no problem with them wanting to make dlc and not a demo, but the fact they lie about it for no reason makes consumers distrust them. That was EAs problem. I guess its just the curse of being the biggest publisher.

Tags: Add Tags