1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony demos 3D display prototype

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Very interesting! Or at the very least it's a lot more interesting than the current crop of 3D technologies needing glasses and whatnot. :)

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Until I can have a 3D render of Vergon 6 projected above my desk, I'm not happy.

It's a step in the right direction though.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Definitely a step in the right direction!

5. scrimple3D

scrimple3D What's a Dremel?

Given the ability to allow many people to view the 3D image at the same time from different angles I can't see how a wrap-around screen is going to do the job.

If you're standing in one place and you have a wrap-around screen changing the image content to show other viewers the object from a different point of view then you'll just see a blur of changes going on and also it won't be a true 3D image.

It more likely that the low-res screen is spinning in the middle of the device, changing its image depending on the position of the rotation. That's been done before using projected images and its intention was also for medical use.

Just my 2p worth.

6. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

"as long as someone releases a decent 3D camera, that is"
    Yeah, exactly how could you take a picture of ,say, a house? The cheapest, and lowest-tech method would be a few carefully positioned enormous inverted onmiramic reflectors..if you couldnt afford a massive array of lenses and the scaffolding to hold them in place.
    It's only good for rendered objects.

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

would love one of these to display my 3DS character models on my desk, would be awesome

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

For such a small screen it looks a bit big (deep), like an old CRT monitor. Does that mean big computer desks are going to make a comeback?

*looks-up Chinese desk manufacturing companies*

Rodney my son, this time next year we'll be millionaires.....

:D

9. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Well I suppose we have to start somewhere...

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Perhaps this technology relies on the "screen" being fairly deep to generate the depth of field perspective.

It'll be fun if it has to be as deep as it is square, like a fish tank on the desk. If the Images are "true" 3D and crisp it'll be well worth it though.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

still in the right direction at least, anything but those stupid glasses is the right direction.

12. scrimple3D

If it is a spinning 2D display which varies output depending on angle (relative to the hardware) in order to describe the object in 3D space then it's unlikely to be used for large displays.

13. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

You're forgetting that since you can view this from any angle, it's has to be rendered in voxels.

Depending on how it works (swept screen, or something new), it's more likely that it's approx 96*96*128, which is 1.17 mp.
    In any event, processing power to drive 3D displays does not scale quite linearly, so it takes lots of processing power.

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

The article says it's based on a OLED display.

"However, at the heart of the device is a wraparound OLED display that shows an image that can be viewed from any angle - in true 3D. "

15. scrimple3D

Yes, the article *says* it's a wrap around display (and perhaps it was a guess), but as the device is capable of showing many people a view of the object then it can't be a wrap around display since the act of changing the content of the display will simply produce a series of rapidly changing images at each viewpoint.

A flat, wraparound screen wouldn't even work for one viewer since it can't provide depth and wouldn't even sort out rotation unless some method was present to determine where the viewer was.

The spinning 2D screen works because, when spinning fast enough and with a suitably high refresh rate, it's capable of positioning information in 3D space. Your eye is fooled into thinking it's seeing a 3D object.

This technique is unlikely to be found in large displays since, as Wolfe suggests, the numbers get big very quickly. The resolution at the outer edge would very quickly become a problem.

Regardless, it would be interesting to see a technical explanation of it all.

16. scrimple3D

...... and the physical appearance of the device, particularly when you take into account what Sony is capable of in terms of packaging, also suggests it's not as simple as displaying images on a wraparound screen.

17. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Has anyone been able to get the video to play? I've tried both the Google translated page, and the native url, both in IE and Firefox, but no go.

18. scrimple3D

It's not available until tomorrow..... so the conversation goes on Engadget.

19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

This is going to revolutionize display tech!!!

20. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

The spinning display in your example would have to flicker the image in a very controlled and complicated way. For starters the image would have to be vertically symmetrical on the axis of the display wouldn't it? You could get a non symmetrical 2D image floating in 3D space with the spin method... but that's not what this is.

The only way I can think that the wrap around screen would work is with eyeball tracking, but that doesn't seem practical for multiple viewers.

Tags: Add Tags