1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News World at War DLC has made $70 million

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Holy crap. $30?! Is that the same stuff we got on PC for free? Because neither of the map packs were worth more than a cursory glance imo.

3. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

I would never pay for map packs and that's why I'm a PC gamer not a xbox 360 playing bran-dead cash cow lol

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

IW and Activision can seriously go to hell if they think this marketing strategy is going to work on any self respecting PC gamer. But oh ok, they don't care because the console mongs will still pay through the nose for mediocre content.

5. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

I don't see how IWNet will force people to buy new content, will it suspend accounts if no DLC is purchased?
    You could've done the same with dedicated servers instead. Still support ded servers and release packs for money. Sooner or later all PC players will buy it and still play on ded server

6. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I think you mean each DLC costs $10 dollars $30 is just over half what the entire game cost.

I thought the map packs for WaW were great, being on PC they were free though, but not worth laying down cash for really not when the same thing could be accomplished through mods. Although I do have to admire Treyarch for how they supported the PC version it didnt take nvidia throwing money at them to release the packs for free and they have a far better relationship with the community.

7. Deact

Deact What's a Dremel?

Simple is the answer. Using the choosen method that if the person you wish to play with has said DLC and you don't the likelyhood that the game will just say "You do not have the required content to join" and kick you back out to whatever search method you have to use to find a game in the first place. The more people that buy into the DLCs, the more this happens forcing you to buy the DLC simply to play the game. This has worked wonders on the console games and clearly IW/ Activision are hoping for a similar response on the PC for COD:MW2 if WaW is any model to go by.

Edit: Also explains the lack of caring about modders as it will limit the amount of available maps so once your sick of how ever many they include in the game basic (not many i'm guessing based on CoD:MW orginal maps) then there is no alternative but to either stop playing or reach for the wallet for the DLC just to expand the "multiplayer experience". Well that's my thoughts on it now, maybe a little too cynical but a lot seems too true following these little bits of news on after the other.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2009
  8. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

and there lies the real reason behind the consolification of modern warfare 2.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Right you are - corrected!

10. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about paying for DLC. It will happen to all PC games soon enough - where is the financial sense in releasing additional game content for free? *Maybe* it will persuade more people to buy the original but that seems fairly unlikely, it's mainly going to affect the people who already bought the game.

I guess the worrying idea is will they leave stuff out on purpose then release it later. Well, I suppose we just have to hope not. Or simply stop buying games until they put decent amounts of content in, OR reduce the initial cost of games and rake back the money through 2/3 DLC packs per title.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

like hell it will.

12. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

This is the reason i returned from the dark side of the PS3..
    and spent some money on a big upgrade instead.

Its getting worse as well.
    Tiger Woods 10 on PS3 (i own this - don't mock) charge £5 per extra coarse..
    There is about 5 at the last count..
    Fifa10 is also on the same money grabbing scheme.. add ons etc..

13. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

Don't the xbox360 do this already?, I'm sure in the past there have been games released with all the content on the disc, however, some of it was restricted. So you bought a basic game and then paid xbox points for a "key" to unlock the restricted content. Cannot remember what game(s) it was, but people got suspicious when they bought new DLC and it was always just a 100k download (regardless of the fact it might of been new cars, tracks, map packs, etc).

DLC is the future (for skimming money out of the punters).

14. hrp8600

hrp8600 What's a Dremel?

I will pay for DLC on pc, when they can get a game right out of the box and not need to patch it.
    That was the sweetn'r for us to put up with 1/2 finished games remember,
    new patch= new level's, maps , guns and fix their bug infested games. that we would play test for them and pay for the honor.

15. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

It will be a cold day in hell when I pay for DLC I wouldn't give the greed mongers the satisfaction!!

16. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Valve have stated that the sales rate of TF2 triples when they release FREE DLC, which is good for everyone. Valve earns money, community grows with more players, and everyone gets new content. The console method may be more profitable, but it is certainly one I'll never put money towards.

17. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Well they will learn the hard way the computer users are a bit more careful with their money than the console crowed. Also they will learn how quickly gamers turn on the makers of games when they think they are getting ripped off on the pc.

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The makers of Fallout 3 did the same thing, 5 DLC at $10 each. So if you played the game and bought all the DLCs, which I think a lot of people did, they payed $100 to play.

19. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Those people were complete idiots and brought it on themselves, as with tons of bethesda stuff the inevitable GOTY version would come out a year later with all the expansions/DLC for less than buying everything seperate.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I know, all the special editions they put out too. One came with a lunch box and bobble head (which I have) and one even came with a utterly useless Pip-boy.

I really wish they would release mothership zeta on a CD because I cannot access GFWL to download it and there is no way I'd buy the GOTY edition just for the DLC.

Tags: Add Tags