1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Psystar launches Mac OS install tool

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Oct 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i like to think its best for consumers (but naturally, not for Apple) that we are able to install any software in any hardware that can technically support it.

3. moshpit

moshpit What's a Dremel?

I'm with Redbeaver on this. I think Apple is too stuck on itself. It's easy to act superior when you have such a tiny hardware base to support. Apple would CRUMBLE trying to support the vast hardware selection MS supports. They're incapable of it or OSX would be more open. Apple is in it for the profit. If they thought they could profit off of it, they would do it. They just know they'd get their heads handed to them.

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Let the litigation begin!

Psystar make me smile. They're helping Apple to sell more software to people who wouldn't buy Macs (I'd assume for price reasons), and Apple are trying to drive them into the ground. Way to go, Apple! Crap all over your capitalism!

5. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I'm tempted to crack out the popcorn again, but if I did that for every mac battle that erupts I'd be morbidly obese by now. Why is it that one company can invoke so much conflict, both from users and other corporations?

6. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

So it won't work on my AMD Phenom II (AM3) system? Damn.

7. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

That's kind of the point for a lot of non sophisticated users. They don't really care how many graphics cards that are supported, if the few apple offer work very smoothly for them. What we look at as a negative, is a selling point for many. Personally I would like OSX to be open to install on all hardware(I'll be using the efi-x in my next build), but their company isn't built around offering choices, but making things simple.

No, a company in it for profit, sue them. :rolleyes: To think that M$ and all companies don't have the same goal is naive. A companies goal is to make a profit, that's it, and Apple is currently very good at it.
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._on_record_sales_of_3m_macs_7_4m_iphones.html

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Psystar way to go! +1 to making people smile!

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

That's the point. Apple certifies it's OS to be 100% on a limited set of hardware - basically only the stuff that they sell.
    Doing it on anything else is a gamble.

10. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Now I'd think this would be an awesome idea. I'd use OSX on my PC as I find it to be a really efficient OS. But the price premium on Apple hardware is far too much to justify the outlay. But I'd happily pay for a copy of OSX. Of course, Apple will no doubt gatecrash this party before too long. Shame, they would have made some money out of me. Oh well. Gimme a copy of Win 7 please!

11. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

you have to bear in mind apple use intel exclusively.

im a little confused as to why you would want osx on your pc. its just very limiting, like if a chef had a first rate kitchen but would only use a microwave because it made cooking simple and easy.

12. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

^ +1 to that

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

OSX is more powerful than it looks, especially once you get into shell scripts. Windows batch files on the other hand......

i downloaded that iso file as demo, looks like the compatibility test would only run in Mac OSX, which IMHO is quite useless for most people.

14. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

This mod might just be worth a try, I'll give that a spin later when I find a copy of OSX from Apple Store.

15. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

wuyanxu: the ISO from Psystar is bootable. You can use it to install OSX.

16. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Am I missing something? You can install Mac Os without this tool with a few easy to find tutorials

17. koola

koola Minimodder

I've just installed Snow Leopard on my Dell mini 10v, it's rock solid and everything works great.

Very tempted to buy the the new 27" imac though...

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

you know if Mac just opened there OS to be installed on custom built systems and stated at most you get no support from us even still Im sure their market share would probably jump from the sad 4-8% to probably 30% over night and they would be making so much more money but I guess that would also force them to drop the ridiculous pricing they have on their systems a bit.

19. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

tempted to apple by the 27" Imac - then saw UK vs US pricing Over $500 dearer is criminal! Tempted to get a pirate copy just to spite them barstewards :(

20. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I dont understand why microsoft gets sanctioned for simply pre-installing their OS with IE8 and apple dont get touched for pre-installing OSX with safari and also limiting OSX to only its special branded hardware, and also feel the need to stealk nokia technology and think its ok not to compensate them

Tags: Add Tags