1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Lynnfield Memory Performance Analysis

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 Nov 2009.

?

Which memory's heatspreader looks the best?

Poll closed 17 Nov 2009.
  1. A-DATA Xtreme Series XPG X-Series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Corsair Dominator CMD4GX3M2A1600C8

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. Corsair Dominator CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. Crucial Ballistix

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. G.Skill Perfect Storm F3-17600CL8D-4GBPS

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. G.Skill RipJaw F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  7. Kingston HyperX KHX1600C8D3K2/4GX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kingston HyperX T1

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Patriot Sector 5 Viper II PVV34G2000LLKB

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  10. OCZ PC3-15000 Platinum Low Voltage

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. mbvg

mbvg e5300 all the way

still going strong with my dual core e5300 @2.6ghz with 2gb of memory ;) which i built this summer and is fine for what i need (homework and school work mostly). will think to upgrade when it gets a bit slow or breaks but with this in mind when prices go down in a year or 2 will upgrade then :) and give older parts to rest of family :clap:

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I went with the Blue Ripjaws because they match my MSI GD65 motherboard perfectly, Its silly i know but with the performance difference being so small, they might aswell look good.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Great article, surprised by the performance numbers though I was expecting a bigger spread in results

Rich any chance for an AM3 article like this? I know how boring and mind numbing the testing is but it'd be a good read to see if the AMD chips perform differently with memory latency/frequency changes than the Intel platform does

5. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

I'd imagine (from experience, and because AMD CPUs also have integrated dual-channel memory controllers) that the results will be much the same as you see in this article.

Plus, Rich could probably do with a break from memory for a while! :D

6. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Heh yeah I figured he could, Not to mention a break from the AMD platform with all the **** the 965 is giving him heh, but it'd be pretty cool to still cover the memory spectrum that way, I don't think any other site has done it

I know they have the IMC just not sure how much it differs from Intel's TBH, never really seen them compared using the same memory and this style of test, they might prefer different things considering AMD's is much more mature

7. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Nice article, but agree that an AM3 article would be nice too :)

Looks like gaming performance has very little in terms of gains/losses, at least when it comes to frames per second.

When playing online first person shooters, is lower latency more desirable than higher frequencies?

8. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

Great article. Looks like theres very little differences in Rams.
    I gotta say, that Hyber Tx1 something looked ridiculous.
    Ripjaws look reeeeeal fine.

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Secotr 5s are the best looking outright (IMHO) but you obviously have to take into account colour of your mobo, graphics card, case, CPU cooler etc.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

cheap ram Cheesecake

11. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Ahhh, but the AMD memory controller can handle higher DIMM voltages, so it'd be unfair to AMD for us to test its CPUs with any of this memory anyway.

That's not to say that you can't use Lynnfield memory in an AMD rig and get a lot of overclocking headroom though.

12. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Interesting results, i really thought high end memory would make a bigger difference than 1600 CAS9

13. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

So after reading this article, I'm of the opinion that, when it comes to gaming, GPU > CPU > Mobo > SSD > RAM. Basically just make sure you meet the minimum RAM requirements with a good namebrand and make sure it looks pretty?

14. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

That's the conclusion I drew as well, but then I never really spent more than a passing thought on memory, other than getting enough. :p

15. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't call it unfair since there's nothing stopping anyone from just using it at its rated voltage, but yeah AMD handles the higher volts quite happily so it gives you some wiggle room for sure if you were to OC

I'm more asking because I have seen literally hundreds of threads on enthusiast forums since AM3 came out with people spouting the old adage from all the previous AMD evolutions that lower latency over higher frequency is the most valuable asset,

A definitive article would put all that to rest "whats better on AM3, high freq vs lower latency?" because for all we know since nobody tested it AMD's IMC might perform much different than said

Hell it doesn't even need much to test to be honest just some ram ran at different frequencies and latencies, If you guys don't wanna do it send me some ram and ill do it all for you free of charge! :p

16. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

I bought the G.Skill Ripjaws for my P7P55D Deluxe when I won it. The colour is almost identicle to the motherboards heatsink colour.

17. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Sorry to be a little off topic, but what is the consensus concerning latency and speeds for Bloomfield?

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

low end RAM Cheesecake! the most important factor in RAM IMHO is the amount, 8GB is not enough at all, we want 16GB!

Corsair Dominators 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 designed for AMD works perfectly at stock speeds 1.55v.

[​IMG]

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

An educated guess would be the two systems are similar, except Bloomfield doesn't OC as far because of triple channel limitations.

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Tags: Add Tags