1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dutch cracker targets iPhones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

What a way to make a quick buck.

3. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

many companies do this as a legitimate business activity.

"we've found X holes in your security. pay us and we'll fix it for you"

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

The same guy has posted instructions on how to secure it for free, apparently.

5. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

How is moving, chowning and chmodding a jpg fixing a security hole?? I get the plist part, but a jpg? Come on...

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

The jpg stuff is to remove the static background the guy sets when going into your phone.

Step 4 is the key step if you're taking preventative measures.

7. macroman

macroman The One

LOL How ironic :)

8. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

Well hes not doing anything malicious at least so why not make a quick buck, like he says himself much worse could be done.

I'm know nothing of Dutch Laws however and if they have anything like the Computer Misuse Act 1990 he could be in some s**t. Lets hope not friendly hackers make me moist.

9. patchcable

patchcable Preparing to commence simulation

I don't condone his actions he crossed the line after accessing the phones he found after the port scan. The first thing i did was override the alpine password. At least it has raised awareness i guess.

10. Mr. Oizo

Mr. Oizo That yellow furry animal-thingy

I think that he just wanted to hack those iPhone's, gain €5 per iPhone, and since that is illegal over here (in the Netherlands) he decided to tell that all he wanted to do is "helping" those people. Tellling that their security is bad.:nono:

11. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Epic, and sadily I feel Im a "Secure" person but I would of likely not changed it as well. I say leave the guy alone its such a witty crime!

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think he's doing the right thing.

no novice should attempt at jailbreaking without studying about it. jailbreaking is easy but can be deadly as well.

the Ars article is wrong though, SSH is installed manually afterwards through Cydia, and password should be manually configured afterwards using Mobile Terminal from its default: "alpine".

13. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Lesson learned class? Don't go all amateur with your l33t hacking skills on your phone, only to leave yourself vulnerable to the people that really know what they are doing.

14. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

He may have haxored my zors but at least I still have my uber micro!

When will noobs learn...

15. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

To add some more hacking to this news item. Another hacker has now come forward that warns the dutch jailbreak iphone users that using this Dutch hack to access the iphones, but now the new hacker has shown that he could connect to the itunes server via the hacked phoe and buying tunes on the credits of the hacked iphone user! you can read the news item on the (translated) Dutch tweakers.net website

16. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Clearly, this freaky deaky Dutch dude is getting back at all the stoners for being too wasted to sort their iPhone out themselves. You see, this is what happens to a society that allows the open use of recreational drugs in public places without the cold hard fist of the law to control its citizens.

Fight the lowest common denominator, Brothers!

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I say they got what they deserved - moreso if they actually paid money to this guy. There is no excuse for not securing your network-connected device any more, no matter what shape that takes: iPhone, laptop, desktop, router, etc. I'm sick of people not taking responsibility for security and then crying out against "hackers". If you give someone a great big honeypot of an opportunity, don't you think they'll take it? It's the same damn thing with identity fraud too: if you throw your bank statements, credit card statements, sensitive data, etc, in the rubbish without shredding or disposing of it properly, don't you think there's a chance that someone is going to try and steal it? Ignorance is no excuse any more.

You don't need to be a completely paranoid freak with tinfoil wrapped round your head, but taking some basic damned security precautions should be a no-brainer. Especially when you're going to hack your iPhone and violate the terms of your contract/user agreement/whatever, and doubly so when the instructions tell you to change the default bleedin' password!

18. scarrmrcc

scarrmrcc What's a Dremel?

i agree about him doing the right thing... and about the DEADLY part. when i jailbroke my iPhone... it went rogue and killed my neighbor's dog!

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

:D sounds about right

reminds me of all the open or wep wireless connects you can get into around any highschool

20. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Phwarr look at that Dutch cracker.

Tags: Add Tags