1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack: Rage may drop dedicated servers too

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I already had very little interest in Rage after the turdstorm that ID have managed to produce the last few years and this little pronouncement just made it drop off my interest radar all together.

3. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

"184420 Total Signatures"

That is over a million bucks in sales that they have lost assuming that just 20% of the signers where going to buy before the bad news hit. That's a lot of money for a small company to lose just to cut out a little bit of development time, after all, you guys already invented it before so it's not like you have to reinvent the wheel.

4. fodder

fodder Minimodder

It's not just the poor pings. It's the inability to create and run your own server the way you want it. Most of the servers are currently run by Clans on dedi boxes. A clan who like hardcore mode with no arty, no claymores and gelded helis can do so. By having a dedi box, it can run 24/7 and public players who find they prefer that way of playing will populate it. So, when you fancy a game say at 6.30 pm, you can go on the server and have players there already, or it will fill up within a few minutes.

With IW.net, as far as I understand, you create a 'private' server for you and your 'friends' to play on. All well and good, but it doesn't sound too customisable and how do you build up a large public following? You can't, because it's for friends' which implies you already know them. Therefore, as you lose clan members, which happens, you have no real pool of public players wanting to join as you do now.

You will still have clans playing this, but no where near the volume they have now with COD4. I hope ID will see sense after MW2 release and shun the idea.

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

http://digs.by/iWG <- A great article by Ars as to why this move is a shite sandwich for PC gamers.

6. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

I really can't wrap my head around the logic for this. Fine, add matchmaking. I won't and several others won't use it but at least the PC gamers that supposedly don't like finding their own servers from a list will be happy. But why in the world would you remove a feature that hundreds of thousands of PC gamers enjoy?

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

8. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

You're joking, right?

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

"It's a great big sh*t sandwich and we're all gonna have to take a bite."

10. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Meanwhile at valve, Gabe eats another sandwich.

11. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

Id tech is overrated, Rage will suck. This guy is irrelevant, has been for years.

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Its a right ****er if you think about it.

The options are to put up with it and it will be on every game from here to eternity or not to buy the game in which case even the most pc friendly dev will have pressure put on them by their publisher to not even bother with the pc version since the sales will be low.

We know the sales are generally low because they are missing fundamental points that the consumer requires but the bean counters will chalk it up to piracy or write it off as still being cheaper to not bother with a pc version versus the lost sales.

13. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I just Rage Quit

14. AngusW

AngusW mmm

I couldn't really care. I hadn't even heard of the game until now, although ID may just be blind if they think removing dedicated is a good idea haha.

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

incredibly disappointed about this. i woulda thought id would be one of those devs that really understood the pc market.

16. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Another sad day for PC Gaming.

17. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja What's a Dremel?

What. the. ****. ? Carmack is a tech genius, if anyone could pull off a working, low latency p2p system it would be him. But but but... jesus (carmack is jesus) surely he understands that there is more to the issue than just technology. We NEED dedicated servers so communities can form in a server, so that you know you can go somewhere well moderated and build up relationships with the other players. That's just impossible with matchmaking, you get left with a series of shallow fleeting encounters with strangers. Console players will never understand that as all they know is the shallow experience.

This is the stupidification of gaming in the pursuit of profits from the legions of casual gamers. Core gamers that supported and created these companies are being ass-****ed and left behind. All bow down to your new Wii Fit playing overlords.

18. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

That's the funny thing though, relative to console gamers PC gamers are low but in the absolute they're not. In fact they've continued to grow over the years. Developers have a much wider audience of PC gamers now then when they did back when PC gaming wasn't looked down upon as a bunch of hackers and pirates. But the money is cretainly in consoles right now.

19. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

184,000 of whom.

PC gamers are people too! Not just things :(

20. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

+1 lol

Tags: Add Tags