1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Blizzard keen on micro-transactions for WoW

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. geo139

geo139 What's a Dremel?

I'm happy as long as they dont make it necessary to pay more money than the subscription to be competitive at the game! (which appears to what they've said!)

3. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

I think the bigger issue is if $10=£9 is any indication to their pricing scheme, how are they gonna not get people boycotting these "micro transactions"?

Isn't the "micro" in micro transaction supposed to mean something to? I can't see where the micro comes in to play here.

4. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Indeed £9 doesnt seem like a micro amount to me, especially considering thats round about the price of one months sub. And yeah, I see blizzard are using the typical "lets rip off the brits" method of pricing, how the hell can you justify direct conversion for something that doesnt require shipping, import tax, physical distribution etc. I'll wager some guy sets a flag on your account that allows the new pets.

5. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

The GBPUSD rate did go down since 2005 (making Blizz huge amounts of money 2006-2008) but its centrainly not $10=£9 ratio now!

6. sear

sear Guest

I still do not understand how people cannot realise how much microtransactions rip them off. Even with figures like Activision making $65 million+ from Call of Duty DLC, and it costing them less than 1% of that to make them... the profits are absolutely unheard of in pretty much any other business. Simply put, you do not get your money's worth, and on top of that, it has the awful benefit of fragmenting the community based upon not just the usual haves vs. have-nots, but free players vs. paying players.

7. Isitari

Isitari Minimodder

Thank the Computer God I play EVE ;P

8. ThunderBob

ThunderBob What's a Dremel?

This just sounds like the million other MMORPGs out there that are free but you can 'buy' extra bits.

How long till you can buy equipment, extra raid dungeons etc

Sounds like the start of a slippery slope.

9. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

I knew this would be coming, if you talk to players on WoW, *alot* of them are only playing till SW:TOR comes out, so Blizzard need to make as much cash as then can before then.

I haven't bought anything in a game via mico-transactions yet, but I consider £2-3 micro, not £9. I also haven't bought any DLC, so I guess I'm the wrong person for this kind of thing.

10. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

This is the most wise statement that will appear in this thread!

Not only is EVE the best MMO ever made, but when you get to a halfway decent level you can afford to use the in game currency to pay your monthly sub. Win, win and more in, that is EVE.

Yours in Caldari Plasma,
    Star¤Dagger

P.S. Has 300k subs and they are the smartest 300k people in PC Gaming, come join us!

11. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

more praise for eve as it deserves
    the only mmo you can compete in "end game" pvp, in a mere few hours after you start playing

12. Blackie Chan

Blackie Chan What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I would never buy a game that I have to continue to pay for with a monthly subscription. And I would never pay for a game after the initial purchase price. EVE sounds cool though I will have to research that.

13. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

£9 for a pet in WoW ... ?

lol

14. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

actually $5 goes to charity

honestly its just a pet for pete's sake, not like a a legendary weapon =\

15. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

not even like its the only way to get vanity pets in WoW (hell theres achievements for getting like 20 of them), and £9 does seem very excessive.
    I do not see this going well.

Not that you're much of a fanboy :p (also, everyone knows minmatar are better)

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Eve is hardly the best, CCP are just about to roger all of 0.0 with the "domination" changes :p

17. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

how much game currency would you need to pay for a month, and is it trough the game or you buy from players?

18. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

it is a slippery slope, but I would trust blizz for staying in at the top.

They are already do lame things like paid name and server transfers. I think you should at least get 1 free server transfer per char. I could actually see that increasing the amount people play because it would be a lil easier to connect with friends on a different sever.

as for as Eve online.

I tried making the switch, hoping for the best, the only problem is the game is very esoteric and the combat is a very different pace. It's a much more "intellectual" game as opposed to straight out action. The balance is great for the people who don't want to be limited by reflexes or ping or want that experience, but in my mind the game is much slower and there's more limited ways to make money

19. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Truth be told, they're going to do whatever makes them more money. If there's a market for these "micro transactions" Then Blizzard will rip it wide open. It'll be very sad if it becomes a "Pay to experience" and not "Play to experience" the game atmosphere and I personally would cancel my account. But if they can make money doing it then my guess is that they will.

20. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I love blizzard games. They are IMO the best games for pc. Warcraft, diablo, starcraft, and WoW all good games...My problem is with the company itself. They create these awesome games then they do everything they can to make as much money as possible. It's sad really.

Tags: Add Tags