1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Trials dev uploaded torrent of own game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

"There is in general a feeling that IP and content should be free. That's fine to say, but if you have to pay all the people that actually put their heart and soul into a game - who have to pay a mortgage off and have children - it becomes much more difficult. Yes, you can limit [piracy] with technical tricks, but there needs to be an overall change in the perception of IP and the people who create it."

Completely agree with this

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Well, you don't have to have children...

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

solution: castrate all game programmers and let them sleep under their desk so they don't have to pay off a house...

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

but how does the dev pay for the staff, the building, the equipment etc etc :B

6. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Sounds like your work for a HR dept... :p

7. sear

sear Guest

As someone who wants to be a game designer, I'm not sure I'm in favour of this strategy. :(

8. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

It is just a cost savings program for the programmers. It's not going to save the company any money since that is what they expect you to do already.

9. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

People who pirate a 59p product were obviously never going to buy it... even if they had a billions pounds. Piracy is not lost sales... yada yada, broken record, nobody will ever listen, who cares, look out for number one, use SSL/SSH and ignore the white men in the black suits, they're idiots, and they'll be dead soon.

10. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

If your mortgage is more than 10 years you are getting robbed, no different than a mugging in the street, except the mugging would only take what you have on you.

The idea that we play 3 to 5 times the amount of the loan over 30 years is one of the greatest system of social control for the people who are intelligent enough to actually start and succeed in revolutionary action. Every mortgage payment is a loss of your freedom and money to people who do not have your interests in mind.
    And that ladies and gentleman is why we should push for real banking reform and any other area that limits our lives.

S*D

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

As someone who is curerntly doing a degree in games programming, I'm definitely not in favour of this, :D

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

This is an amazing game, I have Trials HD on the xbox 360 and its worth every penny. Think it cost me just a little over £10 and you get your moneys worth.

Pirates should have their eletrical goods taken off them and crushed.

13. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

14. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I was beginning to think I was the only one left who respected IP and thinks that just because file sharing is possible doesn't mean its a human right.

Little wonder why mortgage means death grip.

15. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I wish I had pirated this game instead of buying it because I only played it for a day and didn't like it!

16. giantegg

giantegg What's a Dremel?

..what are you, high?

I'm not sure what ssl/ssh has to do with anything, and piracy clearly IS lost sales. Not all pirates would buy games if piracy was impossible, but some would. gtfo my bit-tech.

17. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Nevermind the piracy but when are they going to release Alien Phobia 4?

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

its what is used for loading games without itunes

19. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Choice exists, unlike a mugging. If you don't buy your home, you're paying someone else's mortgage instead. We all get to see beforehand how much it's going to cost us based on current interest rates. Still no excuse for theft (whether it's software, music or physical product). Nothing is free in this life, it's just a question of who foots the bill. & good on you RedLynx for taking a brave approach, unlike IW who are not even releasing a demo of MW2. I've never heard of the Trials series, but I'll certainly look out for them.

20. giantegg

giantegg What's a Dremel?

riiiight. I'm going to assume that means you play it on your iphone or ipods..
    2 things,
    1. What a horrible gaming medium, games on mobile devices, for now, are gimmicks and only that.
    2. Why are iphone/apple gamers reading a PC tech website, and complaining about issues that don't -really- affect them?

Tags: Add Tags