1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Akasa Freedom Xone Case Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Nov 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Seems people keep trying to take away the Antec 300's domination at that price point in the market but is it even possible to do? Especially when you kit the antec 300 out with fans in every slot, that's what 4 120mm fans and 1 140mm fan in a tight space? Surely there's no point trying to beat something that efficient? IT'S JUST UNPOSSIBLE!

3. Tejstar

Tejstar What's a Dremel?

Nice work guys, been looking for decent reviews of this case for a while now! Disappointed with the verdict as it looks so good on paper. Ho hum.

4. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

So, you got performance numbers for 300 now but no review as such? Want moar. (Also, 1200 would be nice also.)

Too bad the Akasa case is just another piece of utter fail.

5. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Was this case tested with a rear fan installed, it might not come with one, but it would give potential buyers some kind of idea how much the cooling improved. Without sounding too terse, testing budget cases without the extra fans in place (even if just to see) is a bit like a motoring magazine complaining the performance of a car was poor as it didn't come with a tank full of petrol.

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Have to disagree there. You have to get fuel to actually use the car. The comparison is more akin to electricity powering your system not an extra case fan! A case is something that should be designed to work well straight out the box. It's not as if you have to add a spoiler to you're shiny new Zonda to make it work well. At this price range adding several fans can add a massive amount to the total cost of the case in percentage terms.

The Antec 300 is the same price and has much better cooling straight out of the box which is what you need at this price point and why cases that perfom badly won't do well. Fair enough if you want to replace the included fans with quieter, more efficient ones, but if cooling is dire out of the box then we have to review it as such.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

If they were to start using extra fans for cases they'd also have to justify why they picked this one and not that one.

This case sucks at cooling, case closed. [excuse the pun]

8. cybergenics

Fair enough, but following that logic, with respect, you should test CPU's with out thermal paste then as they don't come with it, where do you draw the line at what a product needs to function out of the box ? My point was, it could have been tested with a rear fan, just to show the temp difference, then the potential buyer can make the decision, I mean not everyone likes the look of the Antec 300. You say the cooling was dire, maybe it was, but you didn't try the rear fan. Small things can make a difference, I made some small holes in the side of a P182 on the side, near the GPU and the temp dropped by 6 degrees at idle.

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Does anyone know how well this case would fair with a Corsair H50 installed in the back (Intake) along with a 120mm Exhaust on the side? Obviously this could dramatically alter the cooling results seen in this review.

Actually, more to the point, would a Corsair H50 even fit?

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I like the use of the word UNPOSSIBLE there =)

11. leslie

leslie Just me!

While I see the point in testing with extra fans, I can also see it creating problems. What fans are chosen could create a very different cooling profile since some may create different dead zones. Granted, using the same fans for each case would eliminate some guess work but it is far from optimal. I had one case where once I added all of the fans, I found it actually was warmer, then I reversed all of the airflow and it became a cooling wonder. Trying to sort out teh fans for the best use could take too much time or effort.

Besides, if you buy a cheap case, then add a bunch of fans, is it still a cheap case? You shouldn't need to spend what a case costs over again to make it work right. If it needs extra fans, it should come with them. Not everyone wants to mod a case.

12. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

its interesting that they chose to go with a black interior instead of bare steel, even though its not visible with the sides on (as far as i can tell from the pics).

dont get me wrong, a painted interior is a huge improvement over seel, but at this price-point i feel it a better move would have been to put that cost towards something else, or just cutting down the price a bit..

13. cybergenics

I doubt a black interior costs any more, they paint the metal used on cases anyway with something.

14. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

I believe you meant to write doubtlessly. Either way you should probably just drop doubtless as it's just a fluff word in this sentence anyways.

15. leslie

leslie Just me!

Paint is an insulator of heat and electricity.

The computer chassis serves as a secondary ground, with the paint on there, that is reduced. Granted it's not exactly the end of the world, but still.

It's a cheap case, like you said, instead of paint that you can't see and does nothing, the money would be better spent on another fan.

16. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I've actually had a 300 and I must say it really does fit the purpose of a cheap good quality case. I used it for a home server and it worked a treat.

It's going to take something special to take it's crown.

17. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

I cant believe bit-tech tested this case without the back fan ?

18. tonschk

tonschk Minimodder

Please AKASA , try to increase the thickness of the metal sheet , this case with 0.60mm SECC metal sheet must be very flimsy , and I hate flimsy cases

Tags: Add Tags