1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming League of Legends Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 20 Nov 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

u getting paid overtime for posting at this ungodly hour?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm currently very ill and sweating like I'm sitting in the sun, so I thought I might as well do something with my time :p

4. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

wow, this game must really be bad if the only 3 comments are why it was posted at the time it was, and some idiot commenting about the first two comments :D

Sorry to hear you are sick bindi. You should get some rest and not be posting.

Been a while since ive seen a 2 on a game review, you guys are usually overly generous but i think this one deserves it.
    Ah well, its a pity because it looked promising..

5. InspecterJones

InspecterJones What's a Dremel?

If you wanna play the evolution of DoTA then you should check out http://www.heroesofnewerth.com, LoL is too straight up a clone, you gotta change the game to improve it, not just make the graphics prettier.

6. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

I played LoL for about a week straight. It was fun and i enjoyed it, im a huge DotA allstars fan and play with my buddies all the time. Again, it was fun for a week or so, but then i got a Heroes of Newerth beta key after waiting (literally) months to play it, and HoN is just so much better. HoN is more of a direct clone of dota allstars with a few new heroes here and there. In my opinion if you played dota or dota allstars and enjoyed those games, this isnt the game for you. Try to get your hands on a beta key for HoN, cause that game will blow your mind (again, if ur a fan of dota).

7. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

From what I've heard, HoN has a steeper learning curve than LoL. IIRC LoL has some campaigns for beginners so they can get the hang of the game. HoN does not. If you never played DotA before, you'll be at a huge disadvantage. Additionally, I hate the artwork for HoN. There are no contrasting colors. Everything is a blur, which makes it difficult to discern whose on your team and what hero is who. Furthermore, there are too many effects so when you have 10 people casting spells, it's like a fireworks display. HoN is a lesser clone of DotA, but with MUCH better support (leavers, lag, match making, etc). Personally, I'd stick with DotA. I'm thinking of joining private realms so maybe the amount of leavers/noobs will be fewer. Also, I'm crossing my fingers for VALVE who recently hired IceFrog.

8. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

I agree with the article. Why pay for LoL when you have dota, demigod and heroes of newerth (which is 10x better dota clone).

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Your criticism of it having one map is pretty dumb since its based on DotA, but I would agree its not much of an improvement with the silly RPG stuff...

Seems to me like they rushed to release to beat HoN to market, I give them a year...

10. Malfrex

Malfrex What's a Dremel?

I've played the beta for both games (HoN & LoL), there's just something tactile about LoL that just doesn't feel right. I think the art style is interesting, as is the spells you can level up as it adds a new depth to the strategy, however like you say LoL feels like it's in beta. Also, there is a lot more "little" things in HoN that were preserved from DotA like denying creeps, unless that was added to LoL.

I will fully agree that HoN can have a bit of a stricter learning curve and if you don't intentially aim for the "Noobs" games, there are some people who can be rather vile and start yelling at you to do specific things, but that's like almost any online game.

As for the colour scheme of HoN there are "fixes" for it, if people are interested. They have a small mod community making larger identifiers and even a red/white split for colour blind people so you can clearly identify your team. As for the match making/leavers/lag, you have to admit the fact it is still stated to be in beta unlike LoL and those are things they have stated to be working on. Personally it just feels like it will be the more faithful update to DotA of the two, however I am curious as to what IceFrog will be doing at Valve. There's also nothing wrong with sticking to the original in WCIII - some people swear by CS 1.6, others prefer CS:Source. Pick your poison, because both of them are addictive for the same reason.

11. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I'll give this a try.

12. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Is this the game that was causing arguments in the office yesterday?

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yes, but DotA was a free mod. This is supposed to be a fully retail product.

You don't see new FPS games coming out which ape Doom or Wolfenstein so diredtly - they evolve, change and expand. They provide more options, variation. This doesn't. It's just one map, which is the same as was in the original. Why the hell don't they at least make some other three-lane maps with a different aesthetic, turret placement and lane paths?

14. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

To be honest I was expecting Assasin's Creed II review instead of this one..... I think you're working on that though

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

LOL @ LoL

16. CardJoe

Indeed. Review copy was a bit late in arriving.

17. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

My point stands, the DotA map has evolved over many years and is a HUGE part of the balancing of the game...

18. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I thought the 1 was going to be for MW2 multiplayer!

19. CardJoe

And that's fine for DotA, but if you're releasing a new game as a retail product then you need more than just the one, old map. You don't see Red Alert 2 recycling just the maps from Red Alert 1 purely because the developers are confident they've been optimised to the maximum.

Even if they made a load of other maps which were worse than this one then it'd be an improvement on just this one.

20. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

did you get lost in the 9th circle of hell, while on your way to the fridge joe?

Tags: Add Tags