1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Rock Xtreme 790 Laptop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 8 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

bit early for work isnt it?

3. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

The fun never stops at bit-tech :)

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

First page, 2nd paragraph, last line "a good deal of this week is in pure copper heatsinks" is that my bad english or doesn't that read correctly.

on a more related topic have you tried beating some whales with that thing, It's Mahooosive.

[edit] Scratch that i might of missed the big picture for this week :S lol, move along[/Edit]

5. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Good thing it has that banner on the cover, I almost forgot it was a notebook.............:rolleyes:

And a few more:
    Why have HDMI with no blu ray?
    Why no SSD for that price?

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

What I don't understand is, if they go to all the effort of making such a huge chassis and putting a desktop CPU inside, why don't they go all the way and put a desktop GPU inside, considering that is by far the most underpowered component is a gaming laptop.

From what I've seen these G92-based GPUs in laptops often reach upwards of 80°C, so I'm sure you could squeeze in one of these newer 40nm chips with a big enough heatsink and enough airlflow running over it to keep it cool, even if it has to be slightly underclocked.

7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

That looks poor compared to their old chassis.
    It's good to hear that Rock have started using good screens again. Looking at the reviews in the mag over that last few years it looked as though they were going for cheaper and cheaper options.

RE: Rehashed G90 parts.
    Any idea when we'll see HD5000 series mobile GPU's?

8. barndoor101

Because modern GPUs put CPUs to shame in terms of heat and power - unless you put a HD5xxx in there. They had a whinge about this on one of the podcasts, ie how the GTX280m is the best laptop GPU out there but is still crap.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I am terrifically surprised at the battery life of all the laptops in that chart.

In a bad way, mind.

10. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

But does it play Crysis?

...oh wait.. it kinda does...

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I don't understand why people want such a laptop, I know there are people outthere that buy them because they wouldn't make them if they didn't but, isn't there a point you reach where its just not feasable to keep stuffing more and more into, dare i say laptop, because only chuck noris could pull that off as a laptop.

12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

mod: Fixed, thanks!

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I remain underwhelmed by any nVidia mobile offering. At least when AMD say they're giving you a 4850, it's a 4850 (albeit clocked lower)... so I'd be far more impressed if this had a 4850m/4870m/5850m powering it rather than the 260m... sorry, 9800m... sorry, 8800m.... uh, which was it again?

I'd be more interested in that 18.4" 5850-based Acer Aspire 8942 laptop than this offering... if it wasn't for the fact that it was Acer.

Aside from that... that keyboard is appalling. There is no excuse on a 17" laptop, not to have a full size (ie: four key wide) numeric pad. If Dell can do it on the Studio 17, and HP can do it on their 17" laptops, why can't the OEM for this machine?

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Future owners should drill two holes in the side of the laptop, and replace the CPU/GPU heatsink with a waterblock, and WC/OC the balls off the laptop. Although carrying around a external pump+res+rad combo looks awkward, with the fugly plaque stating Notebook in the middle of the lid...

It can't get any worse, can it?

15. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

it's big, ugly and overpriced

16. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Looks good. I hope they do a dual core version when Clarkfield is available. I'd rather have two faster cores.

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Lol did someone really just call a 18,4" THING a laptop? When will it ever end? If I slap a car battery inside my Corsair Obsidian and hinge a 24" screen and keyboard from the side panel, will it be a laptop? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Good review nonetheless.

18. barndoor101

we are coming full circle. here is the first ever portable PC (made by Compaq):

[​IMG]

19. Hg

Hg The game known as life

Only think to watch when buying Rock is their support is/was really bad, a quick search on their forums will show you this.
    I use to own a Rock laptop and it took several months to get anyone thing sorted. the amount of lost time i had with my laptop being away for weeks if not months at a time!
    I really want to support small firms like this but having owned a Rock laptop and having used their support i wont be buying one again
    However that said nice review and its nice to see Rock are still tradding

Last edited: 8 Dec 2009
  20. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

You can buy a Core i7 720 laptop with a half decent GPU (something like a 4670) from Dell, that also has an RGBLED screen and lots of stuff this behemoth doesn't, AND have change to build a Core i7 gaming rig for your desk. So in conclusion, (IMHO), you'd have to be high on crack to buy this, it doesn't even look nice.

Tags: Add Tags