1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 18+10=24 pin psu cable???

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by numanoid, 30 Sep 2019.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi guys, a modular psu usually has 18 pin to 24 pin to the motherboard.... On my new thermaltake toughpower it's an 18 + 10 pin to 24 pin motherboard... I dont understand it myself any ideas why thanks guys.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2019
  2. numanoid

numanoid Modder

No buddy, the psu is fully modular, the 24 pin motherboard cable goes to an 18 pin to the psu and connected to the same cable is a 10 pin to the psu... Ie... 18+10 pin to 24 pin motherboard

Attached Files:

3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Yes mate only the 850w version.. Cheers buddy and will do...

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Looks like 5x 5strand cables. One of the 24 is probably doubled up, and not all of the connections at the psu side will be used. pretty common set up, also seen on Corsair and Evga psu's for example. My superflower psu has square 9pin connections for everything at the psu side, just uses multiple connections and not all the pin holes.

numanoid likes this.
  5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It allows the manufacture to rearrange the pins with greater flexibility thus allowing for better power and control distribution within the PSU. With my Seasonic PSU, one connector has the 3.3V and 5V connections while the other has 12V and control signals. As for the discrepancy in pins, not all are used and they likely have doubled up some of the grounds.

numanoid likes this.
  6. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Thank you guys, appreciate your input