1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ModDB announces digital distribution for mods

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

For trying out new mods, this sounds pretty cool. I'm curious tho, how will this work? To play the mod you need the game installed, right? How will they verify that. On top of that, If the game is installed via Steam or any other digital distribution software, how will that work?!?!

Last edited: 17 Dec 2009
  3. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

Good points, Proxess. This has already failed before it even begun.

4. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

I dont see the real problem I mean if the game is a steam required one it will just use that all Steam the program is is a list of shortcuts to the games it probably wouldnt be much different to loading into a server for tf2 via xfire if that makes sense. I love the idea and with the Unreal 3 tech now free as a standalone this could really offer up a great service. I am not entirely excited about having another program installed on my pc but certainly this seems to be a much more community driven one than steam and with better mod visibility without being an actual developer (see RO mods steam).

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

One thing is launching an already existing TF2 server, another is launching into a server of a MOD that isn't part of Steam. Steam does much more than just list shortcuts to games.

6. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Steam's mod support is crap though. Once a third-party mod is installed there is no uninstall button. It is the one thing steam is yet to get right! I'm glad ModDB are doing this! Hopefully they will gain a wider audience and more mods through offering this too! They are missing quite a few in my opinion. Still good on them!

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

It's called the "Delete local Content" button. Has worked for me everytime I uninstalled a 3rd party mod.

8. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

there is no "Delete local Content" button or menu option for mods installed manually. Only mods available via the Steam store (downloaded via Steam content-servers) have this option. If you just dump a mod in the SourceMod folder you have to manually delete it via Windows Explorer (or other means).

And this makes perfect sense. If you install a game manually, you should also be uninstalling it manually. The mod isn't managed by Steam per-say (it's only available in the list so you can launch it).
    The same goes for Half-Life 1 mods (put in the Half-Life game folder).

Also I don't get why ModDB suddenly has to make a store front? The site works just fine as it is now with providing and making mods accessible. And it also lists full games.
    This just seems unnecessary.

9. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

At the very least it may encourage steam to up their game.

Tags: Add Tags