1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Glitch leaves O2 iPhone users offline

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

That explains why my internet wasn't working on my iphone then.. I'd assumed it was something wrong with my phone!

3. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

yeah i read stories telling you to change your network settings and what not, probably moving you from the free contract internet, to pay as you go internet (which apparently was working).

Funny, they can send me texts all day telling me about deals and offers, but can't text me to tell me that my internet is down and not to brick my phone.

4. Morrius

Morrius What's a Dremel?

I predict a Mac Vs PC trainwreck within the next 5 posts...

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I was wondering what was wrong with it, problem solved I guess.

6. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

seems no network can handle the iphone, att in the us certainly can't.

7. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Yeah what is up with the iPhone? If you read blogs like Engadget, you'll notice they have loads of network issues and dropped calls. Sloppy firmware or something?

8. Soliber

Soliber What's a Dremel?

No, more like inadequate cellular networks. The iPhone triggered some sort of revolution, if you can call it that, in the mentality of the people. In the old days, only businessmen had smartphones, and the things they used it for would not slow down any network. But now people, especially iPhone users are actually using their phones. Practically every iPhone app and equivalents on other platforms trigger at least some network traffic, and this is just too much for the providers to handle.
    In Belgium this isn't such a problem, because 3G is pretty expensive here, and not a lot of people actually have smartphones. As such, I've never ever encountered dropped calls, network issues or what have you. Though I do not doubt even in the slightest that if there was a sudden surge in smartphone users actively using the 3G network, our providers would be faster on their knees than you could blink. Then of course, we still have expensive tiered pricing schemes, so this wouldn't happen, unlike in the US with their unlimited data shizzel...

9. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

If that is the case then surely it wouldn't have been limited to the iphone (I don't even know if it was). Anyone here on O2 without an iphone experience problems too?

10. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Just o2 being incompetent, they have long had the worst mobile data service and with all the new users sucked in by the iphone they haven't improved their network. Probably as they have had to so heavily pay Apple for the solo right to distribute the iphone.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I hate O2 with a passion. Im still waiting to use blue book from February, they've refused to delete my old online account and they've charged me for a month before i'd even received my new sim. Even better, when I was pay as you go with them all their treats where useless. Free cinema tickets, discount meals etc all excluded Northern Ireland and most of their other rewards where a joke. Free pict messages that lasted 2 hours (cause i took my award at 10pm), free landline calls between 6 and 7 for two days??? They're seriously taking the piss. Looking to change to t-mobile or 3. One of their £15 a month tarriffs look pretty sweet.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can't wait to get iPhone officially on Vodafone on 14th of January........

prices are a bit steep though

13. Soliber

Soliber What's a Dremel?

This past half year, I've read a lot of bad press surrounding O2 actually, outages 'till the cows came home >_> Frankly, I don't know what's up with these networks Apple picks for their iPhone... When I was in NY, I just stuck to T-Mobile, because more often than not, I couldn't get on AT&T, unless I disabled 3G. When I was in Letchworth UK, I couldn't get on O2, also had to pick T-Mobile.
    Then again, with T-Mobile in The Netherlands, it's apparently far from smiles and sunshine as well, though the situation seems to be a bit better. I wish they would just get their sh*t in order; no wonder Apple seems to be wanting to jump ship to Verizon in the US...
    Frankly, it's the same in Belgium, here only Mobistar has an affiliation with iPhone, though you can just buy an iPhone unsubsidized. Anyway, in terms of both coverage and customer service, they can't hold a candle to Proximus (Vodafone). I'm starting to detect a pattern here :')

14. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I was stuck out in the snow walking trying to get to the nearest tube station and my internet was dead as a doorbell!
    Had to call a friend who gave me directions!!!

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Never had any issues with mine last week or so

on o2 3gs iPhone moddel

No network can handle the level of usage 3g is now getting. The more users who leave o2 the faster it wi become for the rest.
    Orange has best 3g network in uk but put 1 million iPhones on to it and it will collapse

the phone companies underestimated what the phone would do for the
    norm user. I must use my phone for 3-4 hrs a day minimum just
    messsing around in apps / internet. Also use it for mp3 playback these days.

Whilst before i used my phone rarely if ever, was like the odd text or call 10-20mi s max a day

that's like a 6-800% increase on usage time. If others are like me then no wonder networks are struggling

16. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Never noticed any down time here, unless I tried to use it and thought my 3G connection was down - I don't use anything other than wifi (95%) or 3G (5%).

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Since iphone is exclusive to O2they must be raking it in. Surely that money could go to upgrading their network. I don't use internet on my phone so atmit wouldn't make a difference if I left =) have been tempted to get unlimited internet and a smart phone and leave it to download loads of crap but then "fair use" guff means I can't do that out of spite =( not to mention the waste of money on the contract. For now Ill try to get the most out of my "unlimited" o2-o2 hehe

18. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I had this issue too...

19. livesabitch

livesabitch life is what you make it!

I can't send any mms at all now for days and it's getting really annoying me now! It's becoming a joke now!

Tags: Add Tags