1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kingston previews liquid-cooled RAM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

ummm havnt OCZ been doing this for years

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Eh, barbs. They don't look replaceable either. I guess compression fittings wouldn't really fit on there.

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Pretty much why I have always like Corsair's and Muskin's solutions better.

5. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

I'll pass on the RustBowl of aluminium :)

6. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Corsair Dominators + MIPS RAM block is the way to go. What if you have a DOA stick and don't know it until you plumb and fill the system? That would make for one long afternoon.

7. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Right up there with watercooling your HDD's in terms of pointlessness...

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

you do know aluminum doesnt actually rust.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

having aluminium in a loop could potentially make other things corrode more though.

I think... :D

being as in the past people have commented on how pointless water cooled RAM is, they do seem a bit useless to me.

10. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Yes, the article says they are for either 'hardcore overclockers' in which case the user would be expected to have a nice chilly case, or 'those with cramped cases' who wouldn't really be likely to be using performance RAM anyway. They seem more for the shiny factor than anything else.

11. sear

sear Guest

What's the point? It has geek appeal but the 1.65v modules run cool enough even when overclocked.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

run anti corrosion stuff

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

aluminium does rust but only on the surface, which then protects the underlying metal

any cooling system with mixed metals has the potential for increased corrosion, due to the interaction of the metal salts reacting with the other metals.

14. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

aka redox reactions.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

How many world record setups have you seen with water cooling on the ram? How many kits of water cooled ram have you seen on flashy project logs with barely any overclocking included? Pointless.

16. s3v3n

s3v3n MMO Cold Turkey -fail

In the past (ddr and before) I always built PCs with basic ram because I was in school and didn't have the money to buy super fancy ram. When I got a job and built a system with ddr2, I bought the top of the line stuff. That was the last time I bought top of the line ram... I've had 5 pairs die withing a year of use, some within months, while running 0.1-0.2v under the rating. These are ram from Corsair, Cruicial, and OCZ. Top of the line names. It just seems the extra 1% in speed causes the ram to fail 10x as fast.
    Are all "Enthusiast" ram like that? Because I have generic DDR ram that's been running in my Athlon for over 6 years.
    But I'll give them credit, those companies RMA without a hassle.

17. PandaMonster

PandaMonster What's a Dremel?

Water cooled is like saying you drive a fast car when you are driving a Honda Civic.

You think you are a bad ass for having it (you're not) and that air is weak (it's better, actually). You know, no hassle, and only a minimal gain from going to water-cooling. The top air-cooler (probably a noctua) out-does many water-cooling setups. I know this is not the best one (Corsair H50 Cooler) but the Noctua performs better.

Water-cooled ram is like having a boosted Civic (you're still slow) and have to put up with the hassle of tuning your turbo and not breaking your engine all the time. In this case, hoping you have no leaks any where.

Verdict:

Stick with air especially on RAM.

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

flamebait alert!

Please get off the high horse. I have a nice watercooling setup, and i know full well i overpaid, and i'm still happy with it. It looks better, it runs cooler, it makes less noise, and it makes the geek in me all fuzzy inside. I can admit i have it for the bling and the want-factor, and i am chuffed to bits with it. Argueing that i dont need it will get you on the arguement that nobody really needs anything more then a q6600 and a gtx8800, and that everyone who upgraded after that is a fool. I have news for you, you are on the wrong website for that message :lol:

Ofcourse the RAM is pointless and OTT. The real thing that Kinston is getting wrong here is that it still looks bad and has no interchangable barbs.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

well said

I would also like to add that the civic haters are 10 times more annoying than what they hate, which is a good car and has always been.

20. matt.bungle

matt.bungle Vase

agree

What's the point!!

Tags: Add Tags