1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Capcom predicts year on year decline

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 24 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

that smells a lot like windowd dressing to me, they've moved them into the 2010 fiscal year to kill some of their other losses on the balance sheet, sneaky!

3. sear

sear Guest

Eek, and Capcom have been doing fairly well prior to this. I wonder if costs of next-gen development are hitting them harder than they expected.

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Maybe if they used their noggins and started coming up with new game ideas they wouldn't need to take such drastic actions. I haven't played a StreetFighter game since the mid 90's and I plan on keeping it that way...

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Dead Rising 2 better be on PC.

6. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

And every one of those games is a sequel... some of them a sequel to several sequels already (yawn)

So no new original IP from Capcom then.

The only one I find mildly interesting is Lost Planet 2.

7. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

They need break out hits like Shattered Horizon!

8. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Yeah, delayed unorig. IP? No wonder they predict a decline. I'm with Elton too, they don't develop enough interesting games for PC either.

9. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

So Dinosaur Hunter 2, Generic Fighter Game 4, Monster Hunter 3, and Zombie Hunter 2 are all being delayed because Capcom doesn't believe they will sell as well as Dinosaur Hunter 1, Generic Fighter Game 3, Monster Hunter 2, and Zombie Hunter 1?

10. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

I think that is all pretty harsh on Capcom. Yes, IP like Resident Evil, no matter how I love it, could use a reboot to keep it fresh. However, two of those titles are sequels: As in only the second. I have no problem with #1, 2, or 3 for most franchises. Final Fantasy and Need for Speed proves that you don't have to flog a dying horse to put out in numerous sequels. Dead Rising was very popular and deserves another shot in the spotlight. I remember Lost Planet getting favorable reviews. Monster Hunter has been milked pretty good. (Two consoles and two portables I think.) And they haven't introduced anything too new, but I don't think the novelty have completely worn through yet. And Street Fighter 4 was practically a reboot. I'm proud of them for staying as a 2D fighter. I believe the 3D fighting in Mortal Kombat was ultimately its own undoing. SF is not Tekken, Soul Caliber, DOA, or Virtual Fighter. And I don't think it should try to be.

Trust me, I wish there were more original games coming out. And I'm still shocked that EA movies enough "Madden/FIFA/NBA/NHL/NASCAR [current year]" using the same engines, and pretty much zero innovations-- just updated rosters. If they weren't so money hungry (or if others could get the rights) it'd actually be a good downloadable content: You buy say Maden 2010 (this example would work better if the Xbox360 was further then a year or two from the next system.) and then every year you get the chance to download a new roster for $15-$30 from Xbox Live (or PSN). Then they could release the next Maden in 2012, say, with actual game improvements, graphics or such because they have more resources. Or peruse unique IPs (unless EA Sports is literally their own division by now and only pump out sports games.)

TL;DR - I don't dislike sequels, i dislike the lack of innovation. I don't believe a sequel HAS to imply a lack of innovation.

Tags: Add Tags