1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best Gaming Moments of 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 31 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Yay, first to comment! +1 for BF2 and MW2.

3. ViPPeR_666

ViPPeR_666 What's a Dremel?

Ima get one of those games too, however if there's one that really rocked my world in 2009 it was Unreal Tournament 3. That game ownz pretty much anything I've ever played. lol

No jk

4. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Battlefield 2has rocked me since it came out - I still play and have an on-off relationship with it now - so it's currently not installed, but...

Try the aix extension!

I just want another game that is BF2 but better in every way - bought Enemy Territory and must have played in total for 10 minutes...

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

If you have installed BF2, you HAVE to install the BF2 Mod 'Forgotten Hope 2'....

A simply brilliant WW2 mod, massive maps...some twice as big as BF2's biggest, huge Normandy tank battles, also the players are the more mature type, who actually get into squads and follow orders....

The modelling on the guns,tanks,aircraft are incredible, realistic tank weapons and armour, selectable tank rounds for infantry or tanks....

It pushes BF2's engine to the limits, 3Gb ram is the minimum really for the bigger maps.......

6. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

For me Dragon Age completely restored my faith in story and character driven single player games. I went back the BF2 beginning of the year aswell, then spent the rest playing L4D1+2 but for the last 2 and half weeks I poured 47 hours into Dragon Age.... and no game has taken hold of me like that since the original KoToR.

It wasn't the combat or even the story, it was all about getting to know and explore the characters (the main party ones). I could literally stand still and listen to Zevran and Morrigan mocking each other or Ohgren teasing Alistair all day. It was also the first game i've ever played where i've genuinely cared about what my party might think of any of the many moral decisions I had to make, not just to keep their approval ratings high, but because of their own backgrounds, political points of view and feelings..... For a game to do that is a huge accomplishment imo.

Plus it has one THE funniest dialogue options in videogame history;

*upon initiating conversation with a noble man in a bar*
    Nevin: "Afternoon, stranger. You looking for a stool to share a brew?"
    Warden: "You looking for a fist to share your face?"

Oh lordy how I lol'd at the randomness.

7. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

For me no multiplayer game has ever come close to bf2 and it's still going strong supported by hardcore playes... - plenty of servers still up - looking forward to bf3!

8. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Couple of recent high points for me:

Modern Warfare 2: Spec Ops, specifically Overwatch - you in the weeds trying to make your exfil site while your buddy is up in the clouds raining hot death on the hundred or so militiamen out for your blood.

Left 4 Dead 2: While for me one of the weakest campaigns of the new set, the finale of The Parish blew me away

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Hmm, a year of mediocrity, apart from a few nice titles like Machinarium and Shattered horizon. Borderlands was probably the one big release that kept me playing longest, was really hoping for a decent first person shooter to appear for a bit of multiplayer action on dedicated servers though. A year of letdowns.

10. RallyRoach

RallyRoach What's a Dremel?

I gotta agree with BF2. I was floored when a patch showed up after sooooo long, so I had to try it. Hooked. Again. Midnight Sun map + the Musclecar at the gas station = BOO-YEAH!. Tear-a$$ing around the map in that car with a 3-man squad in buggies following, taking flags, running over people who didn't recognize the car, and being called a hack because it was nimble enough to dodge chopper fire. I think I averaged 3 hours sleep for the week it came out, I was having so much fun.

2009 was also the year I tried some older games that i avoided for various reasons. Mass Effect I avoided because it launched on PC so buggy, but then a $19.95 sale price convinced me to try it. Wow, I was on my 3rd play-through in a week, simply awesome game. On the other end of the spectrum (and at the same bargain bin) was Bioshock. Tried 3 separate times to play it, could not get into AT ALL. Biggest disappointment of 2009 for me, but I just can't stand that game.

MW2 was good, the multiplayer is good, but I will get bored with not having something to drive soon, and I bet I'll be back to BF2 again. Unless Steam finally gets that damn runtime error crash fixed on L4D2. Also, I'd like to do another run at Fallout 3, but I'm still ticked off at Microsoft for deleting my save games when I installed that stupid GFWL >:-(

11. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

+1 you still cannot beat bf2 for MP action. All the COD games (bar MW2) are awesome but they lost the plot by losing vehicles after United Offensive.

AIX mod and NAW mod rock the boat for me. Nukes and Boats.

We need a new improved BF2 with ships (like 1942) and Mortar support.

12. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Nothing comes close to the pure three dimensional (and actually being so) glory of having to learn FPS gaming all over again because of 6 degrees of freedom. Shattered Horizon not only has dedicated servers, but those servers will be filled with people who are playing a REAL 3d game rather than the 2d tactics offerings every other FPS before it offers.

Add in the fact that they didnt cater to the dx9 luddites and you have a win/win scenario.

Thanks Futuremark for not only game of the year but Game of the Decade!

Yours in Real dx10 3d,
    Star¤Dagger

P.S. It is nice to see devs who respond to player requests rather than hold them in contempt.

13. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Side note : Ehh, can any mod find out if S*D is really a bot or what? It seems that he persistently spams every single post with his SH ********.

For me, well, the best Moment of 2009 was probably in the first stage of Ninja Blade, when I was firstly introduced to the WTF-ness of a Todome. What would tie with it would be the rediscovery of Worms 2/Worms Armageddon and the resulting fun when playing with friends.

14. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Best - MW2 co-op with clan mates.

Worst - IWnet = welcome to the world of voice chat insults and text chat flaming. Not to mention all the other crap that comes with it and has been discussed to death.

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I think the best game I played during 2009 was probably Empire Total War. I had never played any of the series before and poured a crap load of hours into it; addictive as hell.

There have a been a few other great games but nothing truly outstanding.

16. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I had played the first Total War; it was awesome. Then I moved on to the sequels and got bored rapidly. :S

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

same, best: MW2 co-op with housemate, most fun i've had for ages. shame this year's housemate wasn't as good at FPS as my last year's.

worst: IWnet's laggy peer to peer system, made a very unsatisfying match the 23rd Dec morning at 9am when i was about to catch a train later and waiting for the washing machine. guess most of UK gamers are not awake, and the match i played had a very remote host. dedi servers would mean i can choose to have a game with less players on a UK server.

+1 on world of Goo, was playing on my netbook yesterday. (due to lack of proper gaming equiptment at hand)

thinking back, Batman AA definately the game of the year for me. i loved every hunchman filled room where you have to try to silently take them down.

18. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

For me the most fun i have had in a while has to be L4D, because I have a slightly older machine. IBM T60. Otherwise It has to be Trine. It's just so damn beautiful.

19. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Braid & Trine are 2 of my favourite games I played in 2009. Magical experiences.

20. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i agree with machinarium, the rest of the games mentioned not so much.

Tags: Add Tags