1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Majority of LG output to be Android

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Roll on upgrade day!

3. Hg

Hg The game known as life

i for one welcome this, i have been a fan of the LGE brand for many years and have enjoyed using many of their products from TVs to mobile phones!

With LGs sleek and rather cool mobile designs i think Android will be right at home, it will increase the Android user base and persuade more devs to produce great apps for the OS.

I hope more mobile phone manufactures take to Android *cough* Nokia *cough*,as this would stop Apple creating a monopoly of the market as many mobile users now want a so called ‘super phone’ and currently those choices are very very limited by the iphone and nexus one tbh and currently ties you into a long costly contract or lolz upfront payment or both!

4. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I for one welcome this. LG is downright crappy at OS, and Android should allow for alternative firmwares to be developed. LG makes decent hardware, but their software department ought to be fired.

I mean, what the heck? How many years do you need to support an OS?! I can't even install their updater tool on my Vista machine in the past - sold the LG away already.

5. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Sounds like a good plan for anyone to follow - get an easily customisable off the self OS and you don't have to go to the expense of writing your own. Then you can evern market them as "smartphones".

I am in favour of spreading Android around but am a little wary of it going too mainstream - it still needs to be a primarily smartphone platform.

6. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

I absolutely hate LG as a manufacturer. I've never seen a company with so many products break on me and my family. I've had 5 phones in my life, none of which was an LG and only my Sony Ericsson Walkman phone has broken because I dropped it on a sharp rock.

My girlfriend has had a total of 3 different LG phones and they have all broken within 6 months. My brother had an LG TV that broke after 2 months. A friend in work also had an LG TV that broke after 2 weeks. My dad had an LG DVD player that broke....and on and on. LG stuff looks great but they just break so often it seems.

I do wish Nokia would move it's OS. I like the Nokia menus and I have a 5800 but the Ovi store is pure crap compared to the Apple store. If more manufacturers move to Droid and get that online store filled with good apps.....

7. Hg

Hg The game known as life

MacWalka i think we all have brands which just doesnt agree with us. I have had nothing but issues from Samsung, hitachi and Maxtor but have never had an LG product go wrong on me, hell i even still have a Goldstar (old name for LG) TV still working here

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Nokia are currently working on their own open platform called Maemo, and it's looking great. Kudos to android for offering a viable alternative to apple, butI would rather keep away at the moment. Also, I wouldn't count Microsoft out just yet. They have a lot of resources and experience in the smartphone business. True, windows mobile has historically been dreadful, but anyone remember ME and 98? Now look at 7!!

9. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

bring on the android glory, i just wish the custom UI's HTC/Lenovo and others are releasing with there Android devices were optional, i'd prefer to have choice and ability to remove the custom UI so can update to latest Android versions as soon as release instead of having to wait for manufacturer to release updated version with the UI package in
    ie HTC hero had to wait for the Sense UI to be updated before could run Android 2.01
    queue person who knows alot more about this then me to tell me this is already the case :) i just want choice, like winamp skins/addins!
    the device manufactuers should concentrate more on the hardware to distiunguish there devicesm leave google to concentrate on Android and the community to create/steer the platform to do what we want/need

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I disgaree, Windows Mobile is dead and buried. It's been losing market share every single month for years and now accounts for a fraction of a percentage of new mobiles sold. Android on the other hand is approaching double figure share of the Smartphone market, at least in the UK.

Still got a long way to go to take on Rim (Blackberry), Apple and the market leaders Symbian (Nokia) though.

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Yeah i fully agree with this. The Veiwty i had last year was the worst phone i've ever used and also the first phone i've ever got rid of before my contract was up.

12. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Maemo apes Android by being truly Linux, anyway... :D

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Windows Mobile is dead and burried in it's current iteration, but I still think that it would be a mistake to count MS out of the running so soon. They are a huge company with plenty of resources (both financial and human), years of experience in the smartphone market, huge market share in the pc market and their specialty has always been OS's. They were the first in this market to deliver a usable product, but they had virtually no competition and they let their game slip. It happens. That is why competition is good. However, they are the 600 pound gorilla of the IT industry and I, for one, am not going to dismiss them.

Actually, Maemo has been going since 2005, while android was unveiled in 2007, so technically it's android that apes maemo. Also, speaking of being truly Linux, you will find that Maemo is more "linux" than android is, under the hood.

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

When A apes B, A is better than B, no?

What did you think I was saying? When A apes B by having C feature, it means that A has this certain feature C, which in my case was being truly Linux, rather than B having C...

15. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

What are you on?

Tags: Add Tags