1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News App stores worth £3.8 billion in 2010

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

My phone can play solitaire (go me!) and go online and play music on top of calls and texts. More than enough.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

My 6110 has GPS yeah! But I use public transportation. Pretty much SMS and Calls.

4. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

No wonder our economy is in the toilet with idiots like this constantly overvaluing and over-hyping everything.

When you start putting astronomical valuations (and laughable 'predictions') on stuff like this, you're almost guaranteeing it's bottom will eventually fall out.

Twitter's recently valuation also comes to mind for similar reasons...

5. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I must be old-fashioned too, i use my mobile for calls and texts mostly :)

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Lol, I barely pay for software for my computer, let alone my phone. The fact of the matter is that, at least on the PC, there is usually a freeware/open source app that will do what you need, you just need to find it. Of course, ther are exceptions, like Windows, and the amazing OneNote (if you have a tablet) but other than that, I don't think I have any commercial software on my pc (well, games, but you can even get some freeware/OS games these days). Point I'm making is that as long as I don't have money coming out of the bathroom tap, I will not pay £5 for a theme, £3 for a ring tone and £30 (+skypeout credit) to use skype on my BB.

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its an application, not a ****ing app.

Goddam Apple and their stupid naming schemes.

8. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

ha not as much as Cadburys chocolate then!

9. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

if one more person comes up to me and tries to show me an app they paid £5 for that does something they will only ever use 1 time I swear...

I mean its important to have an application that tells you what not to do if a rhino is charging you or how not to get your iphone stolen down a back street, but why do people promote the **** they idiotically brought to non believers? lol...

10. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Can your phone:
    Make calls?
    Send texts?
    Wake you up?

If the answer to those three is yes then you're set - forget about it.

11. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Applications is for people who have a bunch of money and don't know where to spend it wisely.

Almost every smartphone out there already has all the applications needed

12. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

This was my line of thinking until I got an iPhone. I don't think I could go back to using just a 'phone'.

My main grip with the iPhone is the barrier to entry for developers looking to create apps for the platform.

13. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Not too sure about this statement, but I would think that there would be more opensource/free applications on Android as it is an opensource platform to begin with. Plus, I believe the entry to Market is easier than the app store.

Besides, most of the stuff on there is trash anyway. No point if boasting you have 3 million applications if 2.999999 are pants.

14. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Unfortunately, we live in a word where a bad product marketed well will always sell much more than an excelent product marketed badly.

15. fodder

fodder Minimodder

So true.

Tags: Add Tags